Friday, October 2, 2015

The Beginning of the Balloons

Are you sitting down? Yes? Good. I have an announcement to make that may come as a shock.

I'm starting to like Albuquerque.

I know, I know. No one ever thought this day would come. And in all honesty, we're not totally there yet. I've heard a lot of stories of women who moved here for the husband's job, hated it, then all of a sudden, one day they just loved it. I've lost track of how many people have told me about "that moment" when they realized that they love this city. My usual response was something of a smile and nod and change the subject, lest I inadvertently insult someone with my, shall we say, lack of love for this city and all its brownness.

But then I noticed that I didn't dread going places. And Chris and I occasionally talked about where we might buy a house. And I was really looking forward to the start of the Balloon Fiesta, which we've managed to miss by a month or two every year since we left Utah.

The Balloon Fiesta (note: it's not festival, it's fiesta) always starts on Saturday, but the Friday before they have a coordinated launch from several elementary schools throughout the city. We're pretty far away from the Balloon Fiesta Park, but we do still have some view from our balcony.



Because they were going from schools instead of the park, there were a few quite a bit closer.


I'm looking forward to watching these all week.

No comments: