Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Utahn's Observations of Albuquerque

As one would expect, there are differences that come in living in one city versus another and one state versus another state. It's one day shy of a month since we left Utah (so weird) and there are certain things that have repeatedly caught my attention since arriving in New Mexico. For example,


At first glance, the traffic lights are a bit bizarre. At second glance, they really are bizarre. Most of the lights are hung horizontal instead of vertical--I heard this is because of the winds during monsoon season. Additionally, the arrows for turning are not always in the same place. Sometimes they are third or fourth in a row of five (horizontal, mind you) and sometimes there are on their own light post right in the middle of the intersection, which you often can't see unless you are the first car in the turning lane. It has taken some adjustment.


Also in the traffic arena, it is seemingly appropriate to go into any lane you want when turning. It doesn't seem like a good idea to lane-hop mid-intersection, but it sure happens a lot.


Very few restaurants serve Coca-Cola products (just a warning, Dad). It seems the Pepsi and the City of Albuquerque have signed a pact to forever ban Coke and Sprite. Honestly, we ate out a lot in our pre-apartment days in town, as well as several times since, and so far I have found ONE restaurant that sells Sprite. One. Burger King just may become my new favorite.


It's cold here. Many, many people made comments before we moved about how nice it would be to have a warmer winter--yeah, right. I have yet to experience a summer and I'm sure it will be hotter than I'm used to, but as for winter, it's just as cold here as in Salt Lake. We are simply lacking the abundance of snow.


The biggest weather difference I've noticed is the drastic change between night and day. On a good day, it has gotten into the 40s. As soon as the sun goes down, however, it is very abruptly in the teens. I have been caught unawares more than once by the sudden drop.


It seems that there are many people in Albuquerque but very few people from Albuquerque. The vast majority of people I have met are transplants from somewhere else, just like us. New Mexico is nicknamed the "Land of Enchantment"--I heard one local say that Albuquerque is the "Land of Entrapment" because once you're here you'll never leave. Hmmm...


I took the electronic side of Utah for granted. When filling out some kind of form online, all I did was click U and Utah automatically came up. For New Mexico, I click N five times. I was so spoiled and I didn't even know it!


There is a religious tolerance here that I have already experienced in my limited outings that is quite different from the atmosphere in Utah. For the most part, in Utah you are either Mormon or decidely Not Mormon. In Albuquerque, there is a different church on nearly every block. Any comments on faith or spiritual experiences or beliefs are readily accepted without any skepticism or negative remark or questioning. I had not anticipated what a difference that would be from what I'm used to.


The streets are basically a grid system like Salt Lake, but they all have names instead of numbers. You also have to use the appropriate quadrant moniker with every street name--NE, SE, NW, SW--or else you get lost. Apparently. I get lost all the time no matter what quadrant I'm in.


P.S. I know that the pictures are unrelated. But I also know that many people don't read posts unless there are pictures. And my kids are cute no matter what you read.

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I do appreciate the pictures... But I like your observations too. It's crazy how different it really can be. I hope you are having fun with your family right now!!!

Anonymous said...

I found it much easier to get around Albuquerque the second time around, which happened to correspond with me having a GPS this time =) Especially when it comes to finding new churches. They all have names and no one knows their addresses: e.g. the Kachina Building, Montonyo Building, 7 bar loop, san vick, indian school... Now I just save each of them by their name in my GPS =)
I've noticed what you talked about with religion and have enjoyed some of the chats I've had with people from work and around town.
One thing I noticed is that when people from Utah or Idaho think of the state down south, most think of Arizona. When I came back from my internship, most asked how Arizona was, a couple mentioned Texas, it was rare that someone asked how my summer in New Mexico was.
Green Chiles are an obsession here which makes me grin.
When people think of the weather, they often think of Arizona as well as far as heat. On the other hand, while chilly during the winter so far, while it's in 30's and 40's in Albuquerque, it's down in the single digits, teens, or negative numbers back in Aberdeen. I'm glad you got to make a snowman. The snow of the morning tends to be gone by afternoon.

Michael said...

I have been searching for a place that has a pact with Pepsi. Just a little let down that Albuquerque is that place because I don't see myself making that adjustment... (especially if I were to ask Amanda)

Tannie Datwyler said...

THAT was fun and very interesting to read.

Unknown said...

I am from Utah and we may very likely be moving to NM. I was wondering what a good place to live would be. Have you heard of Rio Racho are? Can you email me @ carmajbartschi@gmail.com for you imput.

Thank you!