Friday, January 11, 2013

Preschool Take 3!

Jane's last day of preschool in Salt Lake was November 30. That was a long time ago, especially in the opinion of a 4/5 year old.

I didn't realize just how spoiled we were in Salt Lake preschool-wise. Because of Title I grants, Jane's preschool experience was free for us. If it hadn't been, there were any number of preschools nearby that ranged from $30-50 per month. I was unable to find a preschool in Albuquerque for less than $100 per month, and most of the things I was seeing online were much more of a day care than a preschool. Sad.

All I can say is Thank Goodness for Visiting Teachers! My new visiting teachers came to visit and one of them told me all about New Mexico's Pre-K program. Basically, any child can go to preschool for free the year before Kindergarten in a state-wide effort to have children better prepared to start elementary school. Fabulous!

I got online as soon as they left and researched this new information. About an hour and a few phone calls later, we were on our way to tour Jane's new school. That was Thursday afternoon. On Friday morning, I dropped Jane off for her first day of school in Albuquerque.


Hooray! She could not have been more excited. She was rather annoyed with me when I wouldn't let her stay for school on Thursday afternoon, and insisted on starting on Friday instead of waiting until Monday. Works for me.


(By the way, she choose her posing location for these pictures. Of all places in or out of the house, she opted for standing in front of Ben's bed.)


2 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

What a blessing. Those are some good vt being so on top of visiting you! I'm glad she was able to start so quickly. That Jane needs her social time! :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

What a cutie. I LOVE the smile. I'm so so glad you were able to find a free preschool.