Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Class of 2003...in 2013!

To perpetuate the cliche...It is weird to think that it's only been ten years since Chris and I each graduated from high school, him from Aberdeen and me from Olympus (though I still lay more claim with Marysville-Pilchuck). It still seems like the 90s were only a couple of years ago. But then when I consider that we are married, we have both graduated from college, we have owned (and sold) our first home, and we have three kids, then it is weird to think that it's ONLY been ten years since we graduated from high school.

Whichever kind of weird it is, 10 years is still worth celebrating.

It was wisely agreed that Aberdeen High School's Class of 2003 10 year Reunion should take place the same weekend as Aberdeen Days, which made our long drive very much worth it and greatly improved general reunion attendance.

The festivities began with a meet-up at the park for all the graduates with kids. I was pleasantly surprised at the few people I did manage to recognize, and Chris enjoyed visiting with several people he hasn't seen in, you guessed it, 10 years.




As senior class president, Chris has long anticipated being in charge of organizing and running the reunions. Lucky for us, one of the other class officers largely took on this responsibility with minor assistance from Chris along the way. Works for us! She planned just one game for the kids at the park, and then we all had ice cream and played.





Later that evening was the more official piece, the actual reunion. We met in the commons area at the high school for dinner and a few catching-up questionnaires.



It was amusing to find out which graduates had set which records--Chris won two prizes. One, he had traveled the farthest to attend the reunion. Prize: an Idaho postcard and a genuine Idaho potato. Two, he had the most kids (we lost for oldest child by only two months). Prize: an energy drink and a box of condoms. Ha.


Someone managed to dig up an old yearbook and put out some packets of things the seniors were quoted on in their last year of their public education. Here are a few of Christopher's comments:

To my underclassmen, I will leave... 
Solutions manual for calculus, typed speech questions, and passwords for administrator access to grades

All I wanted for Christmas in second grade... 
Dear Santa Claus, I want a magnet set for Christmas if you can. I will make a list of toys, a remoet control car, and video any one of them, and two sets of dice. from Christopher Wampler

Favorite school lunch... 
crispitos

I wish I hadn't learned... 
Mr Mower "had fun making babies"

In five years I plan to be... 
Finished with college, own my own business, making $200,000 a year

I took the chance to go through the halls of the school with Chris and took pictures of the senior class that were on the wall. Each year, the class paints a picture of all the students on the wall. Chris is on the very top row, fifth in...third in that chunk of three guys with blond hair. (There was no angle where I could take a picture without that glare.)


And the official school pictures of senior year. Chris is on the bottom row, third in.


He looks just like he did when I fell in love with him the first time...well, you know, other than the fuzziness of the picture taken of a picture hanging on a wall a foot above my head.


Chris's brother David actually graduated with this class, even though he is two years older. Unfortunately, he had to work on Saturday and didn't make it to the reunion. You were missed, David! Several people asked how he was doing and mentioned that they'd hoped to see him there. His picture is just to the right of Chris. Shaya did come up for a part of Aberdeen Days, even though David couldn't make it. I just never got any picture proof.

All told, there were 18 out of 57 class graduates present. Congratulations, Class of 2003!


And congratulations to us. I count this as my 10-year reunion, too, since I won't be attending one for Oly or MP.


P.S. I'm wearing my new pearls!

2 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

A class of only 57! Wow! That kind of blows my mind. :) glad you guys were able to make it. And your prizes kind of made me laugh. :) oh and your pearls are beautiful!

Rebecca said...

How fun!! Those prizes are hilarious! What was the prize for who had the oldest child?

That's so crazy his graduating class was only 57. My graduating class was close to 800 I think. In our Lehi ward someone moved in while we were there and she graduated from the same highschool and year as I did...and neither of us recalls ever meeting. I didn't recognize her or her name at all. I think going to a high school that small would be a really neat experience!