Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bowling Height

I find myself always wanting to quickly follow a trauma post with something funnier. Today's humor: book club, bowling, and Benjamin.

Our Phillips et al Book Club is continuing strong after starting up 21 months ago--that's 21 books. Sweet. We have our core group of stalwarts who come every month, new readers every month, and the always-welcome floaters who we see now and again. I thoroughly enjoy it.

At our meeting last night, Mom brought me an early birthday present:


Welcome Book Club Members
Seriously? You didn't finish? Again??

Ha. Totally cracks me up. But that's not even the best part. The label on the back reads as follows:

"This is a perfectly fine, if not certainly adequate doormat. Important things you should know about your doormat--Warning: Do not use mat as a projectile. Sudden acceleration to dangerous speed may cause injury. When using mat, following directions: Put your right foot in, put your right foot out, put your right foot in and shake it all about. This mat is not designed to sustain gross weight exceeding 12,000 lbs. If mat begins to smoke, immediately seek shelter and cover head. Caution: if coffee spills on mat, assume that it is very hot. This mat is not intended to be used as a placemat. Small food particles trapped in fibers may attract rodents and other vermin. Do not glue mat to porous surfaces, such as pregnant women, pets and heavy machinery. When not in use, mat should be kept out of read of children diagnosed with CFED (Compulsive Fiber Eating Disorder). Do not taunt mat. Failure to comply relieves the makers of this doormat of any and all liability."

Ha again. If you didn't actually read it, go back and read it. It's funny.

Long ago, I asked Chris to get our Wii set up, which we had never done since we moved to Salt Lake. Once upon a weekend when I was gone, he pulled everything out from behind the old VHS tapes and moved it to a picturesque location next to the old VCR. Well, cool. I kept looking at it, waiting for the day that it was actually hooked up and useable.

Brilliant me--it was hooked up. I just assumed it wasn't. We all know what assuming does. Now Chris gets all kinds of credit all over again for doing something for me. :)

Since I learned of the entertainment potential awaiting at the press of a button, we've started playing a lot more often. It's fun with the girls. It also helps me stay awake during quiet time while the kids are asleep. Some of my trauma nightmares have been coming back and unless I'm really really tired when I go to bed at night, my brain won't let me fall asleep. But that's not funny. Moving on.

Our current favorite is Bowling.


Megan needs help, and doesn't usually last through an entire game.


Jane, though, thinks it's awesome.


Especially when she gets a strike. Check out that enthusiasm.


Wendi and Tony were over on Sunday, and they commented on how tall Ben looks when compared to Jane. I thought documentation was in order.


She's short, he's tall. Sounds like me and Chris.

In other news, Ben is simultaneously learning how to crawl and how to walk. When he's on the floor, he'll pop himself up on his hands and knees,


or if you hold on to one hand, he'll push off with his other arm and kick his legs like he's trying to swim. This kid desperately wants to be mobile.


His skills are actually a little more advanced in the walking department. He can pull himself up if he has something to balance against, and if you hold both hands, he'll actually walk. Not super coordinated yet, but literally getting better every day.



I'm quite curious to see which manner of mobility he actually manages to master first.


By the way, Megan's arm is totally fine now.

10 comments:

Michael said...

Ivan should take some lessons from Ben. He is trying really hard with the whole crawling thing, but only half of his body is motivated. His legs will bunch up and he'll start to move forward, but his head gets pushed into the ground and scooted forward. At that point he gets upset because his face hurts.

Megan said...

Love the mat. Also, Yea for Megan's arm being better!

We Krazy Knuts said...

Oh so fun! Adilyn isn't even close...Ben's doing much better! And I love his red little cheeks!
Your hair is so long!!! I don't know if I've ever seen it that long! Cute!

tonyandwendib said...

I didn't hear all the mat last night. That is super funny. Also love the last picture of all the kids. Way cute.

Britta said...

You look really cute! Your kids do too I guess :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

That WAS a funny post. :) (Nightmares aside....) You look totally awesome Laura - I haven't seen you since Christmas and you look amazing.

That rug made me laugh out loud - your mom is too funny.

The pictures of your kids are awesome (cute outfit on Jane). I love the picture of Ben trying to walk.

I'm so excited for Saturday. :)

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Hahaha, that mat is hilarious. I think I might have to come to book club JUST for that mat. :) My girls love playing the wii lately. Maddie likes to play wii fit. Great way to get rid of that extra energy with out leaving the comfort of your own home.

I can't believe how tall Ben looks next to Jane. That is CRAZY. And that he is already walking around a bit. Wow.

Brenda said...

Megan's hair is getting long! I am even more excited to come visit in a couple weeks. I miss you guys. I'll have to do some gait training with Ben. That should speed up the process I'm sure.

Michael and Amanda said...

You look super skinny in these pictures! Yea, out of all the awesomeness that is your children, I think you deserve credit for looking awesome!

Rebecca said...

So I haven't been able to read through all the posts yet that I missed while being gone for the past week, so I just skimmed through the photos for now, and holy cow you look amazing Laura!!

Excited to party tomorrow! Except my darn over-reactive prego tummy didn't agree with something I ate yesterday and I'm worried I won't be able to enjoy all the yummy treats. Sniff, sniff :(