Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Potentially Irresponsible

Besides not being pregnant anymore, my great hope in Ben being born sooner rather than later was avoiding any interference with the Petty Family Reunion. Yes, I attempted to plan the birth of my son for the convenience of a family reunion. And it basically worked.


Day One

Monday consisted mostly of everyone getting into town. This reunion is a big deal because it only happens once every three years. We have family spread all over the country--Utah, Alaska, Idaho, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Maryland, California. It's quite the deal to get so many people in one place. Hence only every three years...

Anyway, we just hung out on Monday in Grandma and Grandpa Petty's backyard.







Look, Brenda fits in Megan's chair.


Funny story here--Jane had an accident, and I didn't have any spare pants in the diaper bag. We scavenged around and were able to borrow a pair of shorts Lisa had in her diaper bag. Why is that funny? They were Nicole's shorts. They were size 12 months and they fit Jane. Ha.

And this was Megan throwing a fit. She's pretty good at that lately.


Day Two

Thanksgiving Point! Here comes my potentially irresponsible part--I went to Thanksgiving Point with a six-day-old baby. I also walked all the way through the dinosaur museum six days after having a c-section. Apparently I recover reasonably quickly.






After the museum, we visited the Children's Discovery Garden to experience Noah's Ark.



And we had some general hanging out and playing.



Ben seemed to enjoy himself decently well.


Then back to Draper for Uncle John's dutch oven chili...um, John, you should come cook for us more often. Yeah, pretty sure that'd be great.

Day Three

At Christopher's request, today's activity was a trip out to Bingham Canyon Copper Mine. I believe I've been there before when I was younger, but it was much cooler now when I can at least semi-understand the whole process.



Again, Ben had a good time.


Even if the other kids occasionally seemed a little bored...




And at that point, our little family decided we needed some reunion recuperation, so we skipped out on Antelope Island and went home. Tomorrow is downtown Salt Lake--wish me luck.

3 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

Ahahaha! That fit throwing picture of her sitting in the grass is SO cute. Thanks for keeping it real. My son's also been on a fit-throwing streak for the last little bit. Sometimes it seems like he's trying to punish me, but I know that's not really true.

Sounds like some fun family outings! You're so good. I was basically a hermit for the first month besides going out to go to school and do grocery shopping. You have such a cute family!

Tannie Datwyler said...

Holy cow! I can't believe how busy you are. :) I'm so glad that your recovery is going well.

pawlyandsandy said...

Wow crazy lady! Take it easy, silly! I was thinking of giving you some c-section recovery tips, but you're breaking all the rules. I can't believe you're not home napping.

But all the places you've been sound really fun! congrats on your cute little boy! Love the name Ben, good choice :)