Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 21-30

Day Twenty-One
Favorite Book from my Childhood


Heckedy Peg
by Don and Audrey Wood

I still have my copy from when I was a kid, and I have yet to let my girls look at it without my direct supervision. I liked this book so much I even rewrote it with months of the year instead of days of the week.

Day Twenty-Two
Favorite Book I Own

Seriously?! Have you seen my house? My bookcases are overflowing. I like them all so much I just have to buy them. If I read a lot but didn't own, this might be a more relevant question. For the moment, I am going to skip this. I'll add my answer to this in with Day 30.

Day Twenty-Three
A Book I have always wanted to read but still haven't



Wuthering Heights
by Emily Bronte

I feel like I should have read this a long time ago. I even own it (see why 22 doesn't work?) and still haven't read it. Not sure why I think I should...the only thing I actually know about it are that the late Heath Ledger and his sister were named after the main characters. Maybe it's a dumb book and it's not worth my time. Who knows...I'll probably still never read it. But I still think I should...

Day Twenty-Four
The Character I Relate with the Most

I don't like this one. I have no idea. So I made a new one for this day.

Funniest Book I've Read Recently


The Willoughbys
by Lois Lowry

Thank you again, Kate, for introducing me to this one. It's about four children who want to be old-fashioned, so they set out to be orphans. Their parents decide they would be happier without children, so they set out to get rid of them. Trust me, it's hilarious. I reread it while I was in the hospital with Ben.

Day Twenty-Five
A Book you wish More People would Read



The Westing Game
by Ellen Raskin

I first read this when I was in sixth grade. I have since read it many times, including once with each class I taught at Providence. I think it is very clever, and well worth the read. Read it.

Day Twenty-Six
A Book that Changed my Opinion about Something


I Didn't Plan to be a Witch
by Linda Eyre

I actually just read this book last Friday (yes, the whole thing). It's a book about being a mother, and I couldn't have read it at a more perfect time. I'm planning a post on the Village soon about it. Keep a watch out there if you want to know more.

Day Twenty-Seven
Most Surprising Plot Twist or Ending



The Murder of Roger Ackroyd
by Agatha Christie

I have read literally dozens of Agatha Christie mysteries, and many, many other mysteries by different authors. I feel like I'm pretty good at solving the whodunit long before the last page. This one? Holy cow. I never saw it coming. If you only read one Agatha Christie book ever, pick this one.

Day Twenty-Eight
Favorite Title


Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
by Robert M. Pirsig

I read chunks of this in college, though I must confess that I still really have no idea what this book is even about. But I do think the title is clever.

Day Twenty-Nine
A Book Everyone Hated but I Liked


Spoon River Anthology
by Edgar Lee Masters

Masters went through a cemetery and wrote short poems describing the imagined lives of each name on a gravestone. I read this book in a drama class my senior year in high school. It makes for a dramatic performance piece in reciting the poems, and it makes for an interesting personal read as well. That said, most other students in that drama class hated it. But I was intrigued.

Day Thirty
Favorite Book of All Time

As I mentioned before, this one book could easily fit half of this list. Like days 1, 2, 5, 6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 25, and 26. I tried not to overlap, and yet this book has already hit the list twice. Any guesses?

Referring back to day 22, my favorite book I own would have to be my four copies of this book.


Going through this 30-day list made me want to read it again. This time around, I picked the small red copy.

Yes, Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite book. Any questions?

And there you go. 30 "days" of my book experiences. Hope you found it at least mildly interesting.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

I love this. Althought I don't think that I could answer the questions as well as you. I love your love of literature and your suggestions when I ask for books to read. Well done.

Tannie Datwyler said...

There were a few on this list I hadn't read, but Heckedy Peg is one of my all time favorite books as well.

And you should totally read Wuthering Heights. The plot is sad, the characters are appalling, but the writing is SUPERB. If you even remotely like Gothic writing, you should read it once.

Holli said...

I just read Wuthering Heights. I completely agree with Tannie about it. I found it interesting, even if some of it was sad and appalling.
-Holli Sharp

Britta said...

As much as I love books and reading, I don't have nearly the variety of books under my belt you do. And I don't think i could answer this whole book list because I'm a 'read 'em and forget 'em' type person.

Its cool to see the books you love and hate though. I'll have to get some of them and actually try to read something in my down time (lol...down time!)

Oh, I listened to the first half of Wuthering Heights on CD before I really got into it enough to read in book form. I agree- a worth while read.

Ruby in the Rough said...

Yeah, I haven't even heard of most of these books. I loved reading your list, though!

Michael and Amanda said...

I only counted 29 days.... What happened to the character you relate to the most? Are you the pride or the prejudice in Pride and Prejudice? Or did you mean to add another book after the 30th day book? You make me want to read, I would say more, but beginning is something else. Oh and I love your blog. I check it almost every day.