Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day 1-10

When we were younger, I remember my older sister saying that the state of her bedroom was a reflection of her mind-state at the moment. If her room was clean, life was good. If her room was messy, she was probably stressed about something, or really busy, or whatever.

I have found the same to be true with my blog--if I'm not posting, it's because life is temporarily less than exciting. "Less than exciting" can mean that life is either not going amazingly well at the moment, or things are extraordinarily boring.

Let's just say, we're not so bored right now.

Several people in my ward have said that the third kid is the hardest. Once you get to four or more, it's way easier. Much less of an impact to add one more person. Problem is--we're only on the third kid...

To distract myself from our slightly rocky transition into family of five and to get back into the blogging grove, I stole a 30-day activity from a friend's blog (thanks, Rebekah). 30 Days is a long time, so I'm going to do it in three chunks instead.

Day One
Best book I've read in the last year


Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

I read this first for Tannie's book club a couple years ago now. It is very well written and has a good mix of historical information and just good story interest.

Day Two
A book that I've read more than 3 times


Ella Minnow Pea
by Mark Dunn

This is actually our current book club book. I first read it in high school, I think, and have probably read it at least half a dozen times since. It's a good book largely because of the novelty of it--certain letters are removed from the language of a society, and as they disappear in the story, they also disappear from the book. Very clever, and very well worth the read.

Day Three
My Favorite Series

I have to add a caveat to this one. I don't read series. In my entire life, I can claim only four series that I've read in their entirety--Harry Potter, Peter Jackson, The Dark is Rising, and Lord of the Rings, which I don't even totally count as a series. It's more just one really long book.


Anyway, of those four, I would have to pick Harry Potter as my favorite.

Day Four
Favorite book of my Favorite Series


Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
by JK Rowling

Harry wasn't quite old enough yet to be completely obnoxious like I thought he was in books 5 and 6, and I really liked the new characters (like Mad Eye Moody) and the plot twists (like the polyjuice potion). And I liked the Quidditch World Cup. Even though it didn't really have anything to do with the rest of the book.

Day Five
A book that makes me happy



Princess Bride
by William Goldman

Classic. The movie is great, and the book just makes the story 100 times better. The characters have so much background. And the first chapter is probably the best first chapter in all of literature. Just sayin'.

P.S. If you read it, know that everything the author says about himself is a lie. He made it up for the story, it's not true. He doesn't even have a son.

Day Six
A book that makes me sad


Good Night, Mr. Tom
by Michelle Magorian

Don't get me wrong, this is a wonderful book. I picked this one because there are some very unfortunate things that happen to children. And that makes me sad. But, that's what happens in a World War II book, right?

Day Seven
Most underrated book


Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
by Tom Stoppard

Any Shakespeare fans out there? Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are the two friends of Hamlet who deliver Hamlet and the letter that is intended to get him killed. Hamlet reads the letter, swaps it for a new one, and his friends get killed instead. This book--play, actually--is that story from the friends' perspective. It's a fun twist on a rather tragic little tale, and it's also hilariously funny. I also performed a scene or two from this while in Alaska. I was Guildenstern.

Day Eight
Most overrated book



A Wrinkle in Time
by Madeline L'Engle

I know this is a classic and just about everyone reads it in fifth grade. Well, my fifth graders didn't read it with me because I found it rather annoying. I know it has a positive message of love and whatnot, but...eh. I just didn't care much for any of the characters or events.

Day Nine
A book I thought I wouldn't like but ended up loving



Warbreaker
by Brandon Sanderson

I don't really love contemporary adult fiction. I find a lot of the fiction books that come out now for adults tend to...well, not meet my moral standards, let's say. Brandon Sanderson has no problem keeping his books clean while also using high quality story lines and writing technique. I thought I would hate it because it's a new book written for adults, and a fantasy. I like fantasy, but they can be a little over the top sometimes. This book, though? Awesome.

Day Ten
Favorite Classic Book



The Lord of the Rings
by JRR Tolkien

I first read these books on a bet with my uncle. I won. He never paid up. But it was worth it anyway.

Stay tuned for 11-20 next

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Great picks!! I kinda like your idea of splitting it into chunks though... I might have to copy you now haha.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I've read all those books - save the R&G book (I'm not even going to attempt to spell their names correctly).

I love that we don't agree completely about books - makes me happy. Means we always have something to talk about where books are concerned.