Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm a little upset...

Five weeks and counting until the arrival of our own miniature kick boxer (as I've come to think fondly of him)...we have several projects in the works. Building a new bed, planting and growing the garden, potty training, getting the general baby gear all set, and, as you may remember, doing our traditional pregnancy puzzle.

Here is the picture from the box. Remember, it's 6,000 pieces. That's a lot of pieces.


We have accepted the fact that we are not likely to finish before the baby is born. Hopefully that works out okay, but we're still putting in some serious effort. We had a friend over on Sunday who worked with us for a few hours, and just last night, Chris and I spent another three hours working on the puzzle. And I spent quiet time today working on the border while the girls were in bed. After several hours of work (up to and including this week), we had this to show:


That's more than a thousand pieces done, including a mostly white border. It may not seem like it, but it's about 20% complete. Yes, yes, that counts.

I had to quit working on it this afternoon once the girls were up--them and the basement are not a good mix, especially with the puzzle set up like it is. Besides, my back was hurting from bending over for so long. I ventured back upstairs and we proceeded into a relaxed afternoon of movies and blocks.

I was sitting on the couch, reading blogs, while the girls built towers and watched Cinderella III (don't judge--it's better than you might think). I was getting drowsy. I hadn't had a nap that afternoon, and I wear out pretty darn quick. In fact, my Facebook status was "I just need a nap. Is that too much to ask?"

Yes, yes, it is.

I dozed off. I wasn't worried about the girls, since they were playing so nicely together right in front of me. Well, apparently I was even more tired than I realized because I didn't catch on when they left the room. In fact, I didn't know they were gone until Jane came back and woke me up with the words, "Mom, come see the mess we made."

This falls in the category of what my mom would call a supervision error...

I went downstairs. I saw this first.


And I started crying. I walked farther in and saw this.


And cried more.


This is our puzzle now, only an hour after I finished the border that had taken literally months to get put together.


I called Chris in tears. Apparently this was all too much for my pregnant hormonal mind to handle. It may not look like much, but dang, this puzzle is hard. That's a lot of work destroyed.

Chris will be home shortly. In the meantime, the girls are having an extra quiet time in separate rooms. Mostly for their own protection.


Anyone want to help with a puzzle?

9 comments:

Lisa said...

How ironic that we were just talking about the puzzle before that happened I am so sorry! Now you know for sure that kids and puzzles don't mix.

By the way, I watched Cinderella III the other day with my kids. It is better that the second Cinderella.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Oh Laura! That is awful!!! I would so come help with the puzzle... but 5 children 3 and under is just asking for another disaster of some sort... Oh so sad.

Molly said...

Laura, I am so sorry! Seriously. Hugs!

Jean said...

AHH!!! Tragedy!!!

Les said...

Oh no!! How upsetting! :(

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for you loss! that is awful! I hope you don't punish those girls too much...but at the same time I do! (I'm a bad mom, i know!) I hope you feel better

Jess said...

At least you got a nap?

Tannie Datwyler said...

Oh Laura!!! Oh NOOOOOO! I'll help, I totally will. I don't know when, but I'll help. :(

Brenda said...

That is aweful. I knew the second I saw the title this wasn't going to end well. I'm sorry.