Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Tuesday Trivia

Lotion is most effective at moisturizing your skin if you put it on within three minutes of being wet.

The potato bug is a member of the crustacean family and has 14 legs.

Sunscreen with an SPF higher than 30 really doesn't make any difference--if you get past 50, the protective chemicals don't even mix with the lotion base, so you get patchy coverage at best.

You shouldn't use any fabric softener on towels (really--check the labels). It leaves a residue in the fibers that makes the towels much less absorbent.

Broccoli and brussel sprouts contain a bitter-tasting chemical that can only be tasted by about two-thirds of people. That's why most people don't like them but others have no problem.

The ellipsis...has three dots. Not two.. not four.... not as many as you randomly feel like putting.............. Three...just three.

And for other trivia you may or may not be interested in...

We went to a new pediatrician last week. I did not at all like who we had switched to when we moved, so we switched again. Our "new" pediatrician was actually my doctor when I was little.


Jane is now 29 lbs. 2 oz. at 35 1/2 inches tall.
She's just a little bit short.

Jane is officially potty training this week. So far, so good. Seriously? In two days, she's had one real accident. One. Yeah, she's ready. Stay tuned for our highly-anticipated Potty Trained Reward Mommy-Daughter Date.


Megan comes in at 24 lbs. 12 oz. at 30 3/4 inches tall.
She's definitely not short, and not particularly skinny, but very healthy.

Well, mostly. As long as you're not counting her cold this week. She still uses a pacifier at night, but she's so congested that she can't breathe with it in. Put all that together and you'll understand why I'm typing with one hand so she can sleep sitting up on my lap.

I'm officially into my second trimester now. Yay! But, a few weeks ago when mornings were still amazingly miserable, even without throwing up, I actually opted to leave the house in search of sustenance rather than forage through my own kitchen for the millionth time.

We ended up at McDonald's...you can tell from my children's attire that I was not anticipating leaving our vehicle. Jane is wearing pajamas, and Megan is actually wearing the same dress she'd worn to church the day before.



These aren't my most amazing pictures, mostly because I was trying to avoid catching other kids in the shots. Jane did make a new friend, though. He was probably a year older than her, and he helped her "be brave" and climb all the way to the top of the playplace. He even held her hand all the way down the slide.

3 comments:

pawlyandsandy said...

I liked the random trivia. So no dryer sheet for towels? Seriously? Wow, never knew that one.
Glad the girls are growing well and Horray for a great start to potty training, GO JANE!!! That rocks!!! Hope the rest is just as good. Be patient, is my advice, and know that accident's are part of the learning process-just make her clean it up and she'll probably have less accidents.

Michael said...

We've tried a new potty training method with Chewy that has worked great. He uses the bathroom on something of ours, we return the favor. So if he pees on the carpet, his food gets it too. Great teaching tool.
Chewing is a little harder. He chewed the ends off my earbuds [MSRP $150 luckily got for 20-30(I love ebay)] but chewing on his toys didn't seem to have any effect and was super gross. Rawhide especially, it has this nasty burning effect after awhile. Not recommended.

Meghann said...

My husband actually has the broccoli gene along with most of his siblings. I didn't believe him until he took a life science class and I found out it was legit.

Welcome to the second trimester. I just started by 3rd and I think I'd rather be starting my 2nd again... I guess the miserably large thing just means I'm getting closer. Hope your sickness goes away soon.