Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birthday Babies

Today is my sister Sarah's 21st birthday. Yahoo!

Cell phone picture. Sorry for the poor quality.

At the family party last night, my sisters and I decided to test out an old wive's tale that a friend had linked to on Facebook. It's the old "predict your children's gender using a needle and thread" trick.

Here are the steps, in case you want to try:

1. Thread a needle and tie a knot in the string about six inches down.

2. Hold the knot in your right hand between only your thumb and index finger, needle hanging down.

3. Hold your left hand out, palm down. Swing the needle so it taps the space between your left hand's thumb and index finger three times.

4. Turn your left hand palm up and hang the needle approximately one inch above your palm.

5. Watch! The needle will move in lines or circles, then stop, then start moving again.

Interpretation:
Circle means girl.
Line means boy.

Notes: The needle will stop between each pregnancy. It will stop altogether when it's shown all your kids. It does include children who are already born. It does not count miscarriages.

Ok, if you know my family, you'll know that I have four sisters--five of us altogether, six if you count my mom, seven if you include my brother's girlfriend who was also there. Here are the results:

Lisa:
Boy (Dalton)
Girl (Nicole)
Boy

Deborah:
Boy
Girl
Boy
Girl
Boy
Boy
Girl

She's almost 27 and not married yet...if anyone knows a man who wants a lot of kids, give her a call!!

Laura:
Girl (Jane)
Girl (Megan)
Boy (YAY!!!!)
Boy

Amy:
...

None! The needle never moved! Sad!! Send happy baby thoughts her way!

Bill, via Morgan:
Girl
Girl
Boy

Sarah:
Girl
Girl
Boy
Boy
Girl

Ok, here's the real kicker. Mom already has seven kids and is done. Here was her result from the needle test...

Mom:
Girl (Lisa)
Girl (Deborah)
Girl (Laura)
Girl (Amy)
Boy (Bill)
Girl (Sarah)
Boy (Michael)

No kidding! It was exactly correct. Every child was accurate, and it stopped after seven kids. Man oh man. There just might be something to this...but for Amy's sake, let's hope not.

I am 17 weeks today, but here is my 16 week belly shot.


I've posted on Facebook recently that I know 26 women who are pregnant right now, and at least three more who have given birth in the last month. Twenty-six. That seems like a lot. Over half of them are having girls...I'm prepping myself for a third girl. Deep breath. I'd like a boy, finally, but I'm planning on a girl.

Then again, maybe let's hope the needle was right.


P.S. Just in the short time it took me to write this, I received word that one of those ladies has given birth. Let’s change that number to 25. And by the way, she had a girl.

3 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

This post totally cracks me up!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that the needle was right. :) And why couldn't I be the one to call you yesterday and tell you I had a baby? SIGH.

Michael said...

I've decided that you are going to have twins. This will fulfill the great needle's predictions that you will go girl, girl, boy, boy and you can be done! Now does the needle matter or should we borrow yours for accuracy purposes?

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That's too funny. :)