Sunday, January 30, 2011

Psycho Prego

I have weird dreams.

Always have had. It used to be a favorite past-time of my high school journalism class to try to interpret the deeper meanings of Laura's latest dreamland adventure. Though making up for infrequency with grand detail, they did only come every couple of weeks.

Until now.

You know how pregnant women are notorious for forgetting all kinds of things? Like your brain just isn't quite all there during those nine months? Chris says that my brain has no space for anything useful while I'm pregnant because it's completely full of the useLESS details of every night's full-blown dream saga. I tell you, if I was a producer, some of these would have serious movie potential.

Now that I've set myself up for such grand storytelling, I'm not actually going to share the true detail of my dreams. That would take me hours. Just ask Chris--he has to hear most of them, and I even hold back while I'm telling him. But, there is a certain interest factor to me to see the trend my dreams take and whether or not they seem related to each other, my life, or really anything logical in the waking world.


To name a few (emphasis on few):

I was kidnapped (by Pierce Brosnan) and was hauled around town through several towns. We stopped at some party when I saw my chance, and I ran. I ultimately escaped by hiding on an ostrich farm.

I was hired to work at Walmart. Annoyed with my trainer, I took off my shoe and threw it in her face.

My sister Amy changed her phone number and told everyone but me. That's significant because she has my old phone--her number was mine for quite a while before it was hers. And that's just rude.

I was being chased by unknown bad guys through a multi-story toy store. I hid behind various displays, but every time they found me and I had to run again. I've never seen a toy store with so many staircases that went nowhere.

I was witness to two murders. When I went to my mom in a panic to ask her for help, she responded that she knew exactly what to do. We went into the murderer's house and proceeded to steal all of the small kitchen appliances.

Chris was attempting to rescue me from the latest chasers when his car was deemed unworthy. They laid a trap...he drove over a net of orange extension cords and they just picked his car up so he couldn't drive anymore. That's what you get, apparently, for driving a Geo Metro.

I was being chased (again) through a restaurant. I somehow gained super-human strength and managed to pick up and throw every chaser off the balcony. Talk about muscles.


Oh, geez. Who dreams like that?

The biggest thing I've noticed in my dreams is that I never have kids...and I get chased a lot. I have also noticed the smells. Can you smell in your dreams? For example, the grass outside the Walmart where I temporarily worked had the most delightful freshly-cut aroma that was quite refreshing when everything was actually covered in half a foot of snow. Also, that murderer? Oh. My. Goodness. If only I could eat the spaghetti cooking at his house. Ah. All my pregnancy cravings would be permanently satisfied.

What are your dreams like?

4 comments:

Michael said...

Amanda has some crazy dreams too. I do sometimes also. My problem is that i talk in my sleep too and threaten people i'm staying with... Called Amanda a bad word (female dog) one night and then said "bang bang, you're dead" So at least your dreams don't seem to affect your marriage.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I do have more vivid dreams when I'm pregnant, but I have to admit my friend - you take the cake!!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I too have been having some weird dreams lately... I don't know if I really should even admit it, but some of my most common ones lately are that someone is trying to kill or hurt me or my family and I end up using my "body" to entice the men to save our lives. The funniest part about that is, if you know me at all... that is SO not something I would do. And I think I told you about my dream I had the other day where I got shot in the head (my head was fine) but I got some sort of blood disease and the doctor gave me a plastic hospital band that said "in case of swelling, rub with Q tip" that I had to wear the rest of my life.

Ruby in the Rough said...

Awesome! I have psycho dreams too, though not as often anymore. I used to have quite a few with Jason Bourne, and I had one with Batman/Bruce Wayne. When I watch CSI, I have crazy scary dreams. It's fun. I hope you've recorded all of yours.

Congratulations on the new pregnancy. You're due exactly when I was with Liesl-- I even guessed I was pregnant on Thanksgiving day 2005. Woot! And I was sooo sick with Liesl, mostly sick with Mira, and not sick at all with Marshall. Perhaps you'll have the same luck!

xoxoxo