Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Here There Be Dragons

My children are hilarious. Have I told you that before?


Sometimes it's gymnastics.


Other times, it's showing off how smart they are...or like us to think they are. We were at the library a while back looking for some books for Grandma Janet. While there, I found this book, Jane and the Dragon.


I picked it up and asked Jane if she could read what it said. "J-A-N-E. That says Jane!" She was quite excited that there was a book with her name in it.

I turned back to what I was doing and a moment later heard Jane say, "D-R-A-G-O-N. That says dragon!" I was floored. Really? She can read "dragon"? I handed her this book, Bird's Best Friend, based on the movie Up.


I pointed at the word to test Jane's new-found reading skills. She started off pretty good.

"B-I-R-D..."

The mother in me started getting excited when she sounded out B, B, B...then she said,

"B- B- B- Snipe!"

Well, not quite. But way to go using your picture clues.

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

hahaha that's pretty great. Still impressive none the less. :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is totally hilarious!! LAUGH OUT LOUD, seriously. :) But you know that picture cues are the first steps to reading, so she is probably not too far off.

Rebecca said...

Haha I love it! I agree though, that's still very impressive!

Alyssa Harper said...

Hehe! She's a doll. That is so cute. And very impressive as well!

tonyandwendib said...

Did you know there is also a tv cartoon called Jane and the Dragon on the Qubo channel? The girl in the show talks a lot just like your Jane too. And I like the picture of Ben. I don't know if he will get far like that, but he looks happy doing it.