Tuesday, January 24, 2012

FHE, Jane Style

I have a system set up for Family Home Evening. I don't like to have to come up with what I'm going to do a lesson about, but I do like to have a little room for creativity since I don't get to plan school lessons anymore.

Wanting to make sure that I am in fact teaching my children the gospel, I devised this system for choosing topics:

First Monday: 
An Article of Faith

Second Monday: 
Chapter from Gospel Principles

Third Monday: 
Section from Preach My Gospel 
(starting in Lesson 3)

Fourth Monday: 
Outing AWAY from the house 
(for variety's sake)

Fifth Monday: 
(when it happens to occur) 
Chris is in charge!!

It's been working quite well for us for a few months now. I like it.

And yet, this post is actually about a week when we strayed from the plan. Ha.

The weather's been nasty, I'm burned out (keep holding your breath for that elusive tell-all post...it's coming...), and I didn't want to go to the effort or the expensive of finding an out-of-house activity in January. At a loss for what to do when my grand scheduled plan fell through, I asked Jane what we should do instead. Bravo her, she just took over.

Opening prayer offered by Megan.


(I know prayer pictures are kind of taboo--I should have had my eyes closed, too! But I was taking care of Ben and caught a peek and they were just oh-so-cute!)

And Jane gave the lesson.


She told us some very nice stories about Jesus. Some were impressively accurate from the scriptures, and she told others that I have never heard before...but delightful nonetheless.


Then Jane introduced and lead our activity. It was remarkably similar to an activity I did a few weeks ago--but with her own special touch, too.



Ben hung out with me on the couch.


I love it when my kids get excited about the gospel!

1 comment:

Erin said...

you have me cracking up! i love your writing style. i would love to come! my kids have preschool Tues, Wed, & Thurs mornings. afternoons would work better but i'm making them skip if you decide mornings anyway!