Saturday, September 17, 2011

Someone Else's Story

Chris and the girls went to Aberdeen without me. Don't feel sorry for me--that was the whole point. I needed a break, and I figured they would appreciate having something to do beyond me just being gone. I also guessed that I would have a better break if they were 200 miles away without any expectation of me being available...

While I did have Chris's support, I think he was subconciously against leaving. Or at least he was hesitant to leave town too quickly. We all said goodbye at 9:30 Friday morning. At 9:35, Chris called and informed me that he had forgotten to eat breakfast. I hadn't eaten yet, either, so we met up at McDonald's. Yeah, that goodbye lasted a long time. But breakfast was tasty.


The next goodbye lasted a bit longer. Chris made it all the way to Kaysville--that fateful off-ramp where we ran out of gas on Thanksgiving 2009. In the metro. When Megan was the same age Ben is now. Flashback! The metro started billowing all kinds of smoke on the freeway. They managed to get off, check out a few things, then slowly (very slowly) drive back to Salt Lake on Highway 89.

I got the phone call while mindlessly ambling through Walmart. I was certain my retreat was cancelled then and there. But never fear! Grandpa Jeff and Uncle Christian saved the day.


We met back up, Chris took the van, and I borrowed the Taurus. The same Taurus that belonged to us when Jane was born. That car I drove back when I only had one kid, and I was using it on the weekend when I only had one kid with me. Flashback!


At this point, though, Chris and the girls had already been sitting in a car for about two hours. Didn't seem like the best time to start another 3 1/2 hour drive. So, they went to McDonald's (again) to get some lunch and burn off some energy to encourage naps.



I had already ditched back out, had had a relaxing lunch alone, and was mindlessly ambling through Barnes and Noble when I got another phone call. Chris had locked his keys in the van. See what I mean about subconciously not wanting to leave?

But they did actually leave that time. And it only took four goodbyes, all told. What can I say--they like me.

Here's where I feel like I'm cheating a little bit and telling someone else's story. I (obviously) wasn't there, so I can only go by what's in the pictures and what limited stories I've heard from Chris and Jane. I'd add Megan's stories, too, but she doesn't really talk much.

It appears that they played basketball.


I think they were cheating, though. I'm pretty sure that move isn't permitted in the NBA.


Jane's fascination with the camera resurfaced yet again, to her credit, I think.


But look, she was in one of the pictures, too. Yay!


I heard that Jane prayed that they could go to the park, so they went to the park. Remember, God often answers blessings through other people. Like a little girl's dad.



And introducing one of Megan's best pictures ever. I would have posted it in the "Yay Megan" post, but I felt like it was stealing from this post. So I'll show it now.


See. Adorable. No denying it.

They fed horses.


I think. It might be that they looked at horses and fed themselves.


On Saturday, they went to the zoo in Idaho Falls with Amanda. They had maps there. Jane told me all about that one.


They had animals there, too. Surprise! I bet you hadn't guessed they'd have animals at the zoo. I know they did because I saw the pictures.




They even let you touch some of the animals.


Here's where it's good to be with Dad. Mom won't play that game. Like I told Chris this morning--I believe in equality. I dislike all animals equally.


It was a good trip overall, I think. They all seemed to enjoy it from what I hear. I know they missed me though. When Chris and I first met in Alaska, he bought us a pair of stuffed moose. He took mine with him to Idaho, and it earned a special seat on the ride home on Sunday.


I told you he missed me. Sometimes, it's good to be wanted.

4 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

Cute post! I think that moose pic is my absolute favorite. Now I'm getting the itch to take my stuffed animal on a road trip with me. Just an itch. Nothing more. Taking little kids on long drives is no walk in the park. What a wonderful husband, you have!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

hahaha oh what a fun post. I loved it. I love that Chris just couldn't say goodbye and how you tell the story from looking at the pictures and by what your 3 year old told you :) And even moreso that it was your 3 year old that did the picture taking for you while they were gone. How fun.

Tannie Datwyler said...

LOVE this post. I can't believe how crazy it was for them to finally get off!! :)

And I can't believe I haven't told you about Mrs. Mike. It is one of my favorite books - read it.

pawlyandsandy said...

Thanks for the funny post, I had a good laugh, you're so witty! Yes it DOES feel good to be wanted! Glad you had a quite, regain your sanity, weekend!