Saturday, November 12, 2011

Fireworks in November

Bonus to having super cool neighbors: Veteran's Day Fireworks. I bet you didn't get fireworks this weekend.

Lantis threw something of an employee end-of-season party and Wendi and Tony invited us along since Chris has helped with a handful of shows. It was fun to hang out. Megan particularly enjoyed her Tony time. She's rather attached to him.


It was a little cold, though. Not freezing, but cold enough to appreciate hot chocolate and warm chili. And blankets. And weird facial expressions.


We were out at the bunker in Utah County. There were several confiscated fireworks that had to be disposed of (aka, lit) and a handful of 12-inch shells that are no longer legal to transport. It was a pretty cool show. Even if my pictures aren't as cool...



Downside: We got kicked out of our spots. The girls were all settled in to their chairs with their blankets, Ben was cozy in the carrier. So, I acquiesced to Chris's request to go help shoot the fireworks. It would only be about twenty minutes, the kids were contained and content, no problem, right? Wrong!

They (whoever "they" are...) shut off all the lights and sent us packing to the edge of the property. Megan threw a fit so I had to carry her, she screamed in Ben's ear and woke him up so he cried, too, and Jane was just being stubborn and didn't want to go. Ack. We lost our chairs and blankets--I can only carry so much!--and we spent the show crouched on the ground with all three kids taking turns throwing fits.

We just don't have very good luck with these kids at fireworks shows. In fact, I told Chris I would never go with him again unless we found a babysitter first. It's just not worth it.

It fine in the end--Jane was adopted by Wendi's mom, Megan was adopted by Wendi's sister. And the massive fireball in the burn pit was pretty darn awesome.


If I can get a babysitter, shooting fireworks will be totally awesome. Maybe next year. But at least we're still attempting fun family adventures!! And we still get to hang out with cool people. Guess it wasn't a total loss. ;)

3 comments:

tonyandwendib said...

I love the picture of Tony and Megan. Super cute. Glad my family stepped in to help out since I was off shooting the fireworks with Tony and Chris. Next time will be more enjoyable for Laura.

Meghann said...

Wow, those kids really picked on you. The joys! It's all I can do to keep from throwing a fit right along with my kids when they act that way.

Tannie Datwyler said...

You really do have rotten luck with fireworks!