Friday, October 7, 2011

Oh, Wow

Our little Megan Leigh is officially TWO YEARS OLD!


My, how time flies. Two years ago today, I had my simplest birth experience (and that's no understatement!). Our kid count doubled in just one moment. Then:


And now:

 (They were having tummy time with Ben. Funny how perspective makes Megan's head look huge...)

In the last two years, Megan has:
  • grown 1 ft. 3 inches taller
  • gained 20 pounds
  • had surgery
  • broken her right arm
  • moved to a new city
  • become a big sister
  • learned how to crawl, walk, and talk
  • eaten enough fruit to fill a small lake

Megan got to open her presents from Mom and Dad early in the morning before Chris went to work. It took her a minute to figure out what to do.


She was pretty funny to watch, though she did get it in the end. Her most common phrase lately, uttered repeatedly while discovering her new toys, is an intensely whispered, "Oh, Wow!" It's just about the cutest thing she's ever said. It has to be whispered every time.


This was her gift, in addition to a Lady (from Lady and the Tramp) dog.


I would like to make a side note that I put that all together myself. It started like this:


Go me.

I don't know that Ben really enjoyed the festivities, but he at least enjoyed the swing. I think.


After presents, Megan enjoyed her ultra fancy, super complicated breakfast of choice...


A Nectarine

Jane was struggling with the whole "It's Megan's birthday, not yours" thing, so we made some compromises so Megan could have her present but Jane could have fun, too.


Megan doesn't have friends her age yet, so we had planned to have a fun family outing to the zoo. Then it started snowing. I can do cold, but I'm not willing to brave freezing rain and downpours with small children, especially a baby.

In place of that, Lisa and I came up with an impromptu birthday party with cousins, complete with pizza,




dollar store presents,



a craft,





balloons,



and the ever-popular sugar cookies and fruit.




Megan was too occupied with eating the fruit to smile for the camera. Have I mentioned that she loves fruit? After the party was over and before I cleaned up the table (wait, who am I kidding...it's the next morning now and I still haven't cleaned up the table), I found her eating blueberries by the spoonful. That's my Megan.


Upon later reflection, I have determined that I would have planned something extremely similar to this had I done it all intentionally instead of last minute. Last minute was better, though. No stress. Even if my counter was covered in dirty dishes in all the pictures. And those dollar store presents were just about the best party investment we've ever made (except maybe those blueberries)--she's still playing with all of them, pretty much at the same time. Thanks for all the inspiration, Lisa.

We are having a joint party with my family on Sunday, as my dad's birthday is Monday. Look forward to that post.

We also had something of an early party last week when Chris's parents passed through town on their way to Cincinnati. They gave Megan two books, "The Pout-Pout Fish" and "The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark" (absolutely adorable books, by the way! read them if you have small children! the first one is especially hilarious if you read it in a gangsta' rap voice.):


and a matching fish that Janet made. Ah! Megan loves it.


She carries it around, sleeps with it, and fondly calls it her Putt-Putt fish.

For interest's sake, here are Megan's two-year stats.

2 ft. 10 in.
27 lbs. 14 oz.
75th percentile on each

I wonder at what age it becomes socially unacceptable to post our children's weight for public scrutiny.

Happy Birthday, Megan Leigh!

5 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

Hehehe - your comment on the weight made me laugh.

It looks like a very fun time - I'm so glad Lisa could help you out. I love the pictures, it looks very fun.

I can't believe how grown up she is.

Alyssa Harper said...

So cute! That sounds like the funnest birthday ever! I love that stuffed pout pout fish. Kinda makes me want to look into making one of my own. ;)

Megan said...

So fun! Love the fish and the books look super cute.

Jean said...

Happy birthday to Megan!!!

Debbie Diesen said...

I ran across your blog due to a book title Google alert, and I thought I'd pop into the comments here to tell you how glad I am that your daughter enjoys The Pout-Pout Fish books!

And the stuffed animal Mr. Fish -- that is totally adorable!!

Best Fishes to you and your family,
Debbie Diesen (author of The Pout-Pout Fish)