Tuesday, October 11, 2011

20 Questions

Remember at the beginning of last year when Chris lived in Salt Lake and I was still in Logan with the kids? Single parenting all during the week, Dad home only on the weekends when we try to cram in as many catch-up chores as possible while still pretending to have time to be a family...remember that?

That's what the last month has been like, except now I am single parenting three kids instead of just two and am home all day instead of teaching. Chris has been working serious overtime--15-20 extra hours every week for the last four weeks, and it'll keep going until the end of next week. The kids have been in bed for over an hour already and he just called to say he won't be home for at least another two hours. Hopefully.

Sigh. At least we can still sleep in the same bed each night this time.

So, to pass the time until I get to see him just long enough to say hello before we both crash for the night just to wake up and say goodbye again tomorrow morning, I have decided to do a Couple Tag. If I can't be with him, at least I can think about him a lot. :)

P.S. I believe this tag was originally intended along the secret crush lines, so if some of the questions seem weird, that's why.

1. Where did you meet?
Chris and I met in Fairbanks, Alaska, at the dorms of University of Alaska Fairbanks. We were there for the Upward Bound Math and Science Program.

2. What was the first thought that went through your head when you met?
My first thought was, "What a dork." (Sorry, Chris! Love you!) He had a graphing calculator in his pocket. I'm not necessarily opposed to carrying around a calculator, but a graphing calculator seemed really extreme...and kind of dorky.

3. Do you remember what he/she was wearing?

Chris was wearing light colored blue jeans (with really big pockets) and a gray t-shirt. And the same sneakers that are still sitting in our bedroom closet right now.

4. Where was the first time you kissed this person?

In the hallway of the Lion Hotel in Pocatello, ID following senior prom. Chris told me it was tradition to have a good night kiss. We had been dating for ten months and our first kiss was senior prom.

5. Where did you go for your first date?

This one is up for debate. Chris says our first date was in Alaska when we saw Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course starring Steve Irwin. I maintain that wasn't an official date because we were there with about a dozen other people from the program. And it was a really stupid movie... I say our first date was the first time we saw each other after Alaska, when his family came and picked me up in Salt Lake and we went to a family reunion of his grandma's extended family.

Really, either way you look at it, we had a pretty lame first date. Don't worry, we got better at it.

6. How long did you know this person before you became a couple?
We met on June 15, 2002. We started dating on July 23, 2002. So 38 days.

7. How did he/she ask you out?

We were walking back to the dorms from the cafeteria when he first told me he liked me. It was a couple days later when we had the fateful conversation: Me--What happens when we get home? (meaning when we left Alaska, me to Utah, him to Idaho) Chris--What do you want to happen? Me--My sister is going to ask if I have a boyfriend and I want to say yes. Chris--Ok.
 
And the rest is history. Sort of.

8. Has this person ever proposed to you?
Three times. All within about a minute and a half. My responses: 1. Are you serious?! 2. y...e...s...? 3. Yes.

9. Do you and this person have kids together?
Only the three most adorable kids to have ever graced the planet.

10. Have you ever broken the law with this person?

Chris has gotten three speeding tickets with me in the car. I have gotten one with him asleep in the backseat.

11. When was the first time you realized that you liked this person?
Well, my mom had to point out first that he liked me. I was complaining about this guy that just kept following me around and carrying my books for me and singing when I played the piano and eating lunch with me... Once she awakened me to my obliviousness, I decided that he might be cool. And once I actually paid attention, it turned out he was a really good guy.

12. Do you get along with his/her family?
It's rare to meet a better group of people. So yes.

13. Do you trust this person?

I trust him with my mind, my heart, and my children. So yes.

14. Do you see her/him as your partner in your future?
Only forever. Not a minute longer.

15. What is the best gift she/he gave you?
We dated long distance for a year and a half. During one stretch when I was having a rough time, he came down with a little package for me. The movie Ten Things I Hate About You, a blanket he had made, a bag of popcorn, and a teddy bear. His instructions: watch the movie and eat the popcorn together right then. Later, when he was gone and I was missing him, I could wrap up in the blanket and hug the bear while I watched the movie. Yeah, he did good on that one.

16. What is one thing he/she does that gets on your nerves?
I must really like him because I can't think of any off the top of my head.

17. Where do you see each other 15 years from now?
We'll probably see each other in our house. Maybe this same house, or maybe a different one. We might see each other occasionally in the car, too. At church. At the occasional family gathering.
 
I don't think that's what this question really means...

18. What causes the most arguments?
Money.

19. How long have you been together?
We have known each other for 9 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days. We dated for exactly 1 year and 6 months. We broke up but still wrote letters. Then we were engaged for 2 months, 1 week, and 4 days. We have been married for 5 years, 2 weeks, and 6 days. 
 
So... in all, we've been a couple for 6 years, 9 months, and 3 days.
 
(Can you tell I have time to kill before Chris comes home?)

20.  Are you married?

Yes. That's a dumb question. Don't tell the leper.

21. Who do you tag?
It seems to me that blog tagging is something of the past, but I did have fun writing this and would certainly not be opposed to learning a bit more about my friends' wonderful spouses. So, if you feel inspired, consider yourself tagged and write away.

And now I will copy and paste this entire post into Word, convert it to a pdf, then email it to Chris as an attachment so he can read it at work. Just like I do with all of my blog posts.

Love you, babe. Come home sometime. It'll be awesome. :)

2 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

I'm sorry he's working so much, you didn't tell me that when we chatted last week!! I've heard just about everthing you said, but I still like to hear it. :)

tonyandwendib said...

This made me laugh and cry while reading. And we learned a little more about the Wamplers. Let me know if I can help out in the next week.