Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Our State of Electronics

This has been an expensive month at our house...

Because my husband loves me (and maybe because he felt guilty over the recently acquired compound miter saw and Remington 22 rifle), Chris bought me a brand new laptop.


I've been using the desktop computer I bought when I moved to Logan for my second year of college six and a half years ago. It is sloooooooow. I often use Chris's laptop, but that can be problematic if I want to download something or if it interferes with his programming. Now I finally have my own laptop to do with as I please. Yay!

Our tv died last week. Like, dead dead. We were watching a movie when all the sudden there was a loud POP and it shut off, never to be viewed or heard again. Here it is, awaiting its ride to the tv graveyard.


Man, that thing was huge. The manufacturer sticker on the back indicates that it was made in January of 1997. That's older than my brother. I guess this tv had a pretty good run.

I went to Logan last Saturday for Tannie's annual girl party--HOORAY! You have no idea how desperately I needed that time to talk with no men and no small children in sight. While I was gone, Christopher acquired this replacement:


I mean the tv, not Jane. She's been around for a while now. And yes, she's wearing my coat. She said she was cold.


The true bonus to the tv was that Chris wanted it to look particularly impressive when I came home (at 2:15 in the morning--talk about killer getting up for 9:00 church the next day...). To make sure the tv got its due, Chris cleaned the house. EVERYTHING. He did the dishes, washed the laundry, vacuumed, swept, hung curtains, reorganized cupboards, put away still homeless Christmas presents, he even gave the girls a bath...man, I got lucky when I married him.

So, new laptop. New tv. Soon-to-be new PS3 to replace the one with the faulty disc drive. Deep breath. That's a lot of new electronics that come with a hefty price tag. To balance it out, we just had to acquire dozens of old VHS tapes--archaic and free.


My parents are continually replacing VHS with dvds and now dvds with blu-ray. Pretty much, they don't want VHS anymore. Motivation also comes in the form of no longer owning a VCR... So, we collected all the siblings (all seven of us...well, minus Sarah, I think) and started divying out the tapes to those who still own a VCR (four of us).


Ah, good times. The videos can be seen, while early in the process, on the top and bottom shelves of the above picture. It was quite the adventure, taking turns while still racing to get the good ones first. And then still getting stuck with some weird ones, like Kung Pow. Sigh. At least my girls are still cute when they watch movies together.

4 comments:

Erin said...

A guy took me on a date to see Kung Pow. Let's just say that I never went out with him again. :)

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I am really impessed. Go Chris. I have to tell you though, my husband saw your status on FB about your hubby cleaning while you were gone and he came up to me and said, "I'm sorry I'm not that great of a husband..." it made me giggle. So way to set the standard Chris!

Tannie Datwyler said...

That's crazy about all your electronics, but HOORAY for a new laptop!!

Michael said...

If you don't want Kung Pow... we have a VCR.