Sunday, January 2, 2011

One Resolution

This is one of five new posts...I don't usually do that, but December wasn't a strong blogging month for me. You may want to catch up on those. I think you'll have to click "Older Posts" at the bottom of the page to see them all.

Let's start the New Year with some laughs...

I post these funny things Jane says on Facebook all the time, but I want a more permanent record. If you've already seen them, keep reading because I've added some that I haven't posted before.
Be excited.


Mom: Jane, do you want to watch Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin while I make dinner?
Jane: I don't want to watch a movie.
Mom: Ok. Megan, what movie do you want to watch?
Jane: Megan wants to watch Aladdin.

We hear a knock at the door. Not knowing who it is, Jane says, "Somebody's here! Somebody's here! Oooo, I love somebody!"


Jane walks into the room and announces, "I got married." I logically ask, "To whom?" "To my prince." "What's his name?" "Prince Muptin. He's mine. He's my Prince Muptin and we got married."


"Oh, Mom. You're just a silly old man."


"Poop happens."


"Don't tickle me when I'm dying."


"Tell Sani-tize (Santa Claus) I don't want Christmas anymore. I just want to be sad. Take the tree down." This after I told her she couldn't have another cracker.


"Mom, I don't want to be the mother anymore. You do it." Ha. I thought I was...


"Grandma got hit by a reindeer. That's not very nice. The reindeer need to be more careful."


‎"Mom, your phone needs you."

"Mom, I sneezed. Bless me."


"It's not a choking hazard, Mom. It's just money."


First thing in the morning when I let Jane out of her bedroom--she shakes her head at me and says, "Oh, Mom. Your house is a mess. You need to wash your hair and get dressed and clean or no one will come over." Geez. Talk about rejection!


And my current favorite...

"Jane, can you be quiet for just a minute?"
"No. I like to talk too much."

Amen to that.

Now let's be honest...

I've got some dang cute kids.


My only problem? I don't love being a stay-at-home mom. I said this is one of my other five posts, but I want to repeat myself for the sake of making a request to all you other stay-at-home moms out there. How do you make it work? I know it's the right thing to do for our family--no questions there--I just don't really like it. Yet. Yet.

That's my one and only New Year's resolution: Figure out how to want to be a stay-at-home mom, since I'm doing it anyway. Any tips?

6 comments:

Katie said...

Laura, I have a hard time with this too. I don't know if this will help you or not, but I tend to be pretty task oriented (don't tell my mom, I think I had her pretty well fooled when I was a teenager)and it's so hard to get things done with little kids around. But I have to remind myself that raising my kids is probably more important than anything on my to do list. I do still try to get things done, but at the end of the day if I haven't accomplished all I want to I try to remember that playing with Sal is an accomplishment, and feeding Thaddeus a billion times in a day is an accomplishment. They are things that are important to them and to the spirit in my home which is definitely worth me spending my time on.

The other reason I find it hard to be at home is that I'm accustomed to bringing home the bacon. Martell is still in school and he is working so hard with school and now on top of that he has to work even harder at work. I feel guilty sometimes for making him do all that while I hang out at home. Actually, that may be why I'm so task oriented; because I want to keep our home nice and do as much as I can for him since he is doing so much. Anyway, I'm still figuring out haw to cope with this one, but I do tend to delude myself into thinking I'm going to start some sort of at home business to make some money on the side. I never follow through though, so this may not be the most useful coping device.

The other thing I do is pray a lot. To understand how to be a good mom and a good wife. To enjoy it. To know what my priorities should be. It helps.

This is unbelievably long, but another thing that helps is to get out of the house now and a gain. It can be hard to do sometimes with kids in tow, but I think it helps to change your scenery a bit. Good luck!

pawlyandsandy said...

Maybe think of the things you miss about work and try to incorporate them at home. Your an amazing teacher, so if you miss teaching, have school at home for Jane. Start a joy school with other kids and mom's from the neighborhood. Or if it's the routine that you miss make a routine for your family-be flexable to change-but give yourself some structure. If you miss the appreciation that a job offers-ask Chris to validate you more often. Just some ideas.

Les said...

Haha, those made me laugh so hard! Especially the one about taking the tree down so she can be sad! Can you imagine the dramatics that will come when she's a teenage? :D

Molly said...

The ONLY thing that finally made me feel like I was worth it (being a Mom is completely thankless) and since I struggle with baby blues/depression being at home by myself only makes it worse. The way I started to feel complete, was when I went back to school. I am doing something for me where I am judged for my work and it is important that I do a good job to someone other than me.

We Krazy Knuts said...

You're not alone...I have days where I'd rather be doing something else...all moms do. But you are doing awesome! And I don't really have any tips.

But your kids are dang cute, just like you said! Jane is hilarious. I think I'm going to do that with some of Ben's quotes.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Laura - you DO have cute kids and those Jane lines are a total crack up. :)

As for staying at home with kids.... I'll be honest, I've always loved it. I MISS teaching SOOOO much, in fact there is hardly a week that goes by when I don't miss it, but I love to stay home too.

I'm not sure why I like it so much. But I will tell you that I'm busy ALL THE TIME. Jane will be 3 soon and that makes a huge difference. Every day of the week when I can I have Claire scheduled to do something.... this keeps me busy too. She is in dance, Ready Set School, Story time at the library, and Art. ALL of which I go with her for. 3 year olds can get involved in more things. So look for things in your community that are cheap/free that she can do. That'll help a lot.

I also do a lot of teaching with my kids. I find that passes the time a lot. I also do a lot of projects (and I'm not even artsy). All these things combined, with reading books and practicing the piano are what keep me busy. Learning a new skill is good - like you and the violin or me and the piano.

I wish I had more advice my friend! We can't wait to see you on Saturday. :)