Thursday, November 11, 2010

Free Advertising

On Tuesday night, Amy invited Chris and I to the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Kickoff.


My camera was on a weird setting that didn't get fixed until halfway through the event, so sorry for some funky pictures.

Couple thoughts right off...

I was so so SO excited to be somewhere that was completely, 100% UN-child friendly. I have been really missing regular adult interaction and I don't love having to adjust everything around small children. It was lovely to have this evening out. Thank you, Lisa, for watching our kids.


Second, despite all the rather negative comments on Facebook, I am quite excited for the Christmas season. No, I don't have my tree up yet and no, I haven't broken out the Christmas CDs yet. Those can wait until after Thanksgiving. But yes, I have started planning all our fun activities and new decorations. And if a Christmas song happens to come on the radio in the car, well, that's not my fault, is it? To each his own!

The Red Kettle Kickoff is tri-purpose, as far as I could tell. 1) Recognize the businesses that support the Salvation Army, 2) Count the money that those businesses have already collected this year, and obviously, 3) Continue the fundraising efforts.

Amy was representing her office--Labor Ready of Salt Lake--and had her picture taken as one of the Kettle Captains. Again, sorry for the blurriness. Amy is in the black polka dot shirt in the middle right.


During the event, anyone could donate $25 or more and receive tickets to enter in the prize raffle. Mom and I combined our forces to get the $25 worth of tickets. We split the chances between us and Christopher. He put all his tickets in one basket and anxiously awaited that prize to be called.


Guess what? HE WON!


He had far and away the most enthusiasm of any winner all evening. When his number was called, he literally yelled out loud, jumped up and ran across the room to claim his prize. That just made the night.

The prize:

$100 off a night at Anniversary Inn
$25 gift certificate to Gastronomy Restaurants in Downtown SLC
A collection of candles, chocolates, and two decorative goblets

So, pretty much, I win, too!

Hooray for us!

Mom didn't win anything, even though she had the most tickets, but she did get to ring her bell a lot. Amy didn't win anything either, but she did get a really cool collectible Salvation Army nutcracker. All in all, it was a very fun evening.



And, to top it all off, we each got to take home our bells and soup bowls.


We're planning on going caroling sometime in December. We managed to pull together enough bells for each person in our family. Let me tell you, if Megan and Jane were ringing their bells outside a store, they would get a lot of donations on account of their sheer cuteness.

3 comments:

Meghann said...

That's an awesome price and I'd totally give all my cash to your girls!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That sounds a lot like the aggie auction... except for they have things for auction people are donating at the event. We got to go last year and it was so much fun. It really is fun to get "away" from the little ones even if it is just for an evening. And how exciting about winning!!! Wahoo! We love the anniversary inn. Just FYI, it's cheaper in Logan then Salt Lake so I would make a trip to Logan out of it if I were you :) You get more for your money.

Michael said...

Ask Christopher if he remembers when i got a medal at the state academic decathalon thing.