Monday, August 13, 2012

Photographic Evidence

Sometimes, my kitchen gets really, really dirty.


Like, gross, smells bad, feet stick to the floor, attracts flies dirty.


Fairly embarrassing if anyone happens to visit during such a state of uncleanliness.


And yet, that does not make me a bad person. I have seen too many Facebook statuses or blog posts and listened to too many conversations where women are apologizing over and over again for not being perfect at everything. It just makes me sad. It's hard to listen to!

In my journey in recent months, I have learned a lot about myself and my value. My value is 100% defined by God--not by the comments a visitor makes. My value was determined before I was ever born--not by the diploma or degree I may have earned. My value is infinite and unchanging--not relative to the seemingly perfect girl at church.

I wasn't intending to share this today, but as I sat down to blog, this is just what came out. I want others to know what I know and not spend their time demeaning and degrading themselves. No, we're not perfect. No, your house probably isn't completely spotless all the time either. And NO, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your worth.

I have cleaned my kitchen since I took those photos, but would you think less of me if I hadn't? Or would you give me the benefit of the doubt and assume that I had other things to be doing--like caring for my children--that were taking precedence over dirty dishes? I hope that you would see the person behind the crumbs.

And I hope you give yourself the same consideration.

6 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love you Laura! I do believe people sometimes forget that their friends really are human... It is so easy to compare our bad to someone else's good and really that doesn't do anyone any good.

Lura said...

I LOVE this post!! Simple, short, but so true. Thanks.

Molly said...

I agree! I need to work harder on focusing my time to my kids, NOT cleaning. They are more important and cleaning doesn't come first!

Wendi said...

Laura, you are amazing! Thanks for that! i need to learn what you know. I hope you rub off on me!

Tannie Datwyler said...

Great post!! That's all I have to say about that. :)

Naomi said...

I love this post! Amazing!