Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dormant Genius

Last Friday, Chris and I drove 200 miles to Rexburg to Michael and Amanda's house. The girls stayed home with Amy. Thanks, Amy.

A nice dinner 30 miles farther away that we needed to go, two rousing rounds of well-played Bohnanza and one spilled glass of water later, we finally got to bed around 1:00 that morning. Then we got up at 5:30. Why?

To go to Yellowstone, of course. Isn't that what you do at 5:30 Saturday morning?

It was only the second day the park was open for the season. In a word: snow. Snow is bad for camping, and occasionally detrimental in driving terms, but really good for one thing. Animals. Or rather, animal viewing. They are lower down the mountains when the snow is deep and there is certainly less touristy interruptions to drive them away. That makes for nice entertainment for those who are willing to brave the snow to see them.

It paid off. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves...

Moose Osprey Elk Big Horn Sheep


Buffalo Bear


Oh, wait. That was actually a stump.

This is a bear.


Yeah, we were only fifty feet away. Good thing it was already goin' to town eating something else.

And then there was the scenery...


And there were people there, too.




Ugh. It was too windy for my hair to look cute and I'm too pregnant to look skinny at all but not quite pregnant enough to look pregnant in a sweater...sigh. I had to include it anyway because there are so few pictures of me that actually make it on the blog. At least Michael and Amanda look cute!


As far as my second-ever Yellowstone trip goes, in which we didn't stop at any of the "hot spots" that make Yellowstone what it is, I had a really good time. Other than sitting in a car for over 15 hours while driving roughly 700 miles in one day (we were back home that night)...I was rather sore. My pregnant muscles didn't really appreciate it. They did, however, appreciate all the cushions Amanda brought along. Thanks for sharing!

P.S. The answer to your question is Michael.

3 comments:

Alyssa Harper said...

You guys are troopers! Pretty much nothing can drag me out of bed that early in the morning...besides babies, but...well, don't really have a choice on that one. Those pictures are fabulous though! Looks like you had fun!

Tannie Datwyler said...

That looks so beautiful!! I love the pictures you too. Yellowstone is one of my favorite places to visit, but I've never been there when there is snow.

Chris and Kim said...

I am so jealous of you! We did that trip last year, a little later in the season. I saw one elk and thats it! I love seeing wild animals. I can say that you are pretty awesome for sitting in the car that long and being pregnant! I couldn't have done that.