Monday, April 4, 2011

the Beauty that is

General Conference

We don't have cable, but Chris was able to hook up the antenna that happens to live on our roof. Lucky us, we got General Conference in Hi-Def for free. Sweet.

It was really, really nice to be able to stay home and watch conference. It was much easier to keep track of the girls and still listen when we didn't have to worry as much about what trouble they may be causing.

We did work to help Jane, at least, have some kind of good connection to what was going on. For one, we had her find the pictures of the speakers. She got pretty good at it by the end.


The girls did have a few moments where they just might have been listening.


Or it might just have been that Dad got them to sit still long enough to share an orange.


Most of the time, though, we contented ourselves with having them in the same room.


Even if they obviously weren't listening...


I decided I wanted to have a nice, big family breakfast on Conference's Sunday morning. Bad Mommy Moment: We slept in a little late that morning, and then were cooking all the food, so it was much later than usual before the girls ate. Megan wasn't happy about that.


Yeah. That was when I realized that, well, they'd never had dinner the night before. Sorry, girls! With the bustle of Chris leaving for a song practice and then Priesthood session and me babysitting three older girls from the ward so their dad could go to the session, too, dinner somehow slipped my mind. Sigh. Please forgive me.

We made up for it with breakfast!


Especially, apparently, because we had bacon. Jane even had to pick every little piece that had broken off on the plate.


We watched three of the four session in the basement on the computer...so much for hi-def.


But we did get some significant progress made on our new puzzle.


I don't know if I've posted about this one yet or not. I don't think I have. We have done an ancient map of the world jigsaw puzzle each time I've been pregnant. With Jane, it was a 2,000 piece puzzle. With Megan, it was 3,000 pieces. This time?

6,000 pieces

Pretty much it's going to be ginormous. It is literally as wide as I am tall. And holy cow it's hard to put together. We spent just under six hours working on it this afternoon and what do we have to show? Not quite four feet of the edge. That's it. That does certainly count for something--Chris even did that much all himself while I only sorted other pieces--but we still have a very, very long way to go before it's done.

Deep breath. This one's going to take some real effort. We could use some help. Any volunteers?

As usual, though, the girls weren't always quietly listening to the talks being given.


But Conference was still wonderful. Ah, I'm glad I'm an adult now who can really appreciate and enjoy all that General Conference is.

The cuddling was okay with me, too.


Even if my belly does look kind of huge and yet not quite as "pregnant" as I'd like from this particular angle...sigh. I look kind of fat. But Megan is still really cute.


This has been a very good beginning to what is shaping up to be an insanely busy, but hopefully good, month. In the coming days and weeks, we have quite a few adventures planned:

All four of us are going to Moab for mountain biking (Christopher) and playing in the dirt (Jane and Megan) and generally not being required to do anything (Laura--yay!!).

Chris and I are going to Yellowstone while the girls stay home with aunt Amy for two days.

I am leaving them all at home--husband and children--to go to BYU Women's Conference with my mom and sisters. Hello girl time.

And don't forget book club, Easter, several doctor appointments including one for the removal of a certain orange cast, and at least one hair cut. Busy month. Let's hope it's all good.

P.S. There is another new post below, just in case you missed it.

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love conference weekend. It is always great to stay home and still get an incredibly spiritual and uplifting experience :) Your puzzle sounds insane! I am impressed you are even attempting.

Brenda said...

I did take a peak at the puzzle when I was there last weekend. I'm sure that I can help at least a little when I am there next month.

Alyssa Harper said...

Holy cow! That puzzle is huge. Good luck with it! I'm a terrible puzzle-er...mostly I just lose patience with the middle part once all the edges are together. :) Sounds like you had a good conference too. I couldn't even get Micah to stay in the same room, let alone listen. But then again, I guess he's still just two.

Chrissy said...

Laura! You're so cute! Megan is getting to look so much like Jane! Good for you for having the kids point out the speakers. I like that idea.

I'm so excited for your almost-here baby boy!

Love,
Chrissy