Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Orange" you glad?

We took Megan to the Fracture Clinic today. I'm pretty sure she thought we were just there to play.


Wouldn't it be ironic if she fell off the chair and broke something else while we were there? Of all places to fall, though, it might not be so bad...

Megan was pretty much adorable the entire time we were there. Everyone was laughing at her while she smiled and waved at anyone that walked past.


Oh my goodness, that face. How can you not smile when you see that face?

They did another x-ray, and the orthopedic doctor said that both bones are broken, not just the one. Well, there is the obvious break we found on Sunday, but the other bone has some damage. I don't know if they'd actually call it "broken," but it's not what it's supposed to be, either. In any case, they have put her into a new fiberglass cast. Yay for non-removable!


Here is the new Megan for the next four weeks. Assuming everything goes well, she'll have this cast removed on April 13 and be done. Until then, we have some minor annoyances to deal with. She can't have a bath. Getting into the car seat is a huge pain now since her arm can't bend in any kind of useful way. Eating is all kinds of complicated now. She isn't coordinated enough to eat with one hand--especially her left hand--and her right arm can't really get up onto the table to help at all. And we don't want the cast to get messy or gross. Mostly that means that for the majority of meals, I have to feed her. She has always, always hated being fed--we never did baby food because she was that opposed. I wonder how long we'll last this time...

Sigh. At least her cast is orange...what other color could I pick, really? Phillips pride!

I need to give a moment to Jane, too. She's been feeling a bit left out this week, I think. Megan has been getting too much attention! Jane is jealous.

Despite that, she has done amazing lately in our seemingly never-ending world of potty training. For all you parents out there who care and would understand, I just have to say that for three days in a row, she's had zero accidents. That's pretty much unheard of at our house. Grandma Karrie helped us celebrate today with Jane's own specially requested reward:


Have you ever seen a 3-year-old so excited about her very own jar of pickles? That's not what I would have picked...but really, whatever works! And whatever it is, it's working, so we'll stick with that.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

HAHA! Oh my goodness that last picture of Jane and the pickles is hilarious! That's great.

Good luck this next month with Megan's cast. Hope it goes by fast for ya!

Britta said...

I think you should put that pic of Jane with the pickles on your blog as her 'profile' picture. Its totally worth keeping visable!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

haha, that's pretty funny. I know maddie would enjoy that... but thinking of that reward on her own probably wouldn't happen. :) I'm glad you got a cast to help Megan's arm heal, even though it does make a lot of other tasks a lot more difficult. Good luck!

Alyssa Harper said...

Oh man! I'm glad she got the cast on to help her arm heal, but as soon as you wrote, "have to keep it clean," I felt for you, momma. That'll be so hard, but worth it, I'm sure.

P.S. That pickle-pic is way cute! ;)

pawlyandsandy said...

Yeah that real cast sounds tricky. But at least this is happening while you're not in the sick stage of pregnancy nor do you have a newborn to manage as well-look on the bright side. Go Jane! w/potty training! Yeah, I wouldn't have picked pickles either, but whatever works right?!

Brenda said...

I love that Jane loves pickles. It makes me smile.
At least Megan is young and will heal quickly. I'm surprised more of us haven't gotten hurt on those stairs.

Tannie Datwyler said...

LOVE the orange cast - she's such a cutie.

As for potty training - WOOT WOOT for 3 days in a row, that's HUGE. And I LOVE the pickle thing. Claire might actually request that as a prize if she thought of it. She loves pickles.