Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bilateral Ureteral Reimplantation

Yesterday morning, Megan had no idea what was coming.

She was ok with us taking pictures, although Jane quickly lost interest.

"Mom, Jane's not listening. Again."

We started the day off with our usual walk, with the special treat that Dad joined us. The girls both got apple juice on the ride--Megan couldn't have any food after midnight, and juice only until 8:30 in the morning. We let her have that bottle right up to the line.

After dropping Jane off at Grandma's house, we headed off to check in at Primary Children's Medical Center.

They use a system similar to a lot of restaurants. You get a pager that beeps when it's your turn to go back. Unfortunately, this one doesn't end with food...

Megan kept herself--and the other patients in the waiting room--quite entertained while we waited.

Chris stayed entertained, too.

When we were called back, the nurse pulled out the bubbles to distract Megan while the blood pressure cuff tried to squeeze her leg off.

Ready to go! She looked so cute in the hospital pajamas.

Too bad, though...they weren't ready for us. After letting Megan nap for an hour in my lap, we spent the rest of the time playing while we waited.

Surgery was running behind, so we ended up going in two hours later than scheduled. The procedure lasted two hours as well. That's how I managed to get halfway through Hunger Games in one day.

...Going In...

And then she had surgery.
All of that fuss for the one thing we can't take any pictures of.

...Coming Out...

She was out for the count. I've never heard her snore so loud before.

She was, however, highly entertaining when she woke up. Drunk is the best word to describe it...she staggered around on her hands and knees, occasionally lunging forward and sometimes just collapsing then popping right back up. Oh, it was hilarious. She also alternated between deer in the headlights eyes, weighted eyelids eyes,

and angry eyes. Made me think of Toy Story 2.

We had to distract her with glucose water to get her to hold still long enough to get her vitals taken.

Once she got Mom, though, everything was fine.

We got settled into our room around 5:00 in the evening. Megan just slept. How could I write a post about Megan without pictures of her sleeping?

Grandma, Deborah, Sarah, and Jane all came to visit. This was the best picture of Jane we got.

She took it herself. Can you tell?

Aside from throwing up all over me once as she came off the anesthesia, nothing terribly noteworthy happened to Megan during the night. I, on the other hand, passed out around 4:00 in the morning and had to be admitted to the Emergency Room. It was so dumb. I hadn't eaten enough and I hadn't slept enough, then I stood up too quickly after being in bed when the nurses came to take care of Megan. Since we just happened to be at a hospital, I ended up admitted instead of just going back to bed for a while and drinking some juice. Sigh.

The doctor did thank me for saving them a trip. I was just upstairs. Most people pass out in the parking garage.

Megan is doing quite well today. She's up and about.

She quite enjoys playing with all the wires she's got attached to her.

Her absolute favorite new toy is the stethoscope. We went out to the playroom to give her a break from her cage, and all she did was crawl around dragging the stethoscope. I hope they'll let us take it home. They seem to have plenty...they've opened three or four new ones since we came in.

Megan has had some good bonding time with Dad today. For the first time ever, she even fell asleep on him as I write this.

Everything went well. No complications whatsoever with the procedure. We should be headed home this afternoon. Megan has a stent (tube) coming out directly from her kidney through her incision. While that is in, she has to wear two diapers--one worn as usual, one worn on top of that for just the stent. We will come back Tuesday or Wednesday to have that taken out. Beyond that, she will continue taking antibiotics to prevent possible infections up until we go back for the follow-up appointment in four to six weeks.

Just know that for now, we're all fine. We're just waiting to get this little girl all the way back to herself.


David and Charyl Wampler said...

I am so glad that everything went ok! We were praying for you! Plus it is a good thing you passed out upstairs and not in the parking lot! Asphalt hurts!

Wendy said...

I wish I looked that cute in hospital pjs! We are glad everything went okay.

Molly said...

You guys are good parents. Just wanted to let you know.

Meghann said...

I'm so glad to read everything went well! Reading this was such a reminder we've been through it with P and in 2 weeks we get to do it again. (thumbs down) Hopefully, we'll just get same day, though.

Laura you're a fantastic Mother, but remember to take care of yourself too!

John and Valerie said...

I am glad all went well. I hope she is cured forever!!!

Liz, Karl and Madison said...

I too am glad everything went so smoothly and that she seems to be recovering well. She is the happiest post surgery baby I've ever seen.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I'm so glad it went well! That's excellent news.

I can't believe you passed out - that's nutso.