Friday, August 6, 2010

all things doctor

Megan is doing just great. Aside from a couple bad moments, honestly, you can't hardly tell that she had major surgery a week ago. She was even standing up by herself last night--so much for falling behind!

She is still very attached to the stethoscope.


We never leave home without it.

In nitty gritty news, she had the stent removed on Tuesday. I had a harder time with that than she did. As Jess can attest, I hate stitches. I can do gushing blood, vomit, broken bones...but I hate seeing stitches. Megan had only one stitch holding the tube in at the end of the incision. I had to look away while the doctor pulled the stitch out, but I looked back just in time to see the six inches of tubing being pulled out a hole in her stomach. That was a little unusual.

I thought about posting a picture of her incision as it is now. Would that be weird? Or too much of an invasion of Megan's privacy? Hmmm...

A few days before surgery both girls had a checkup with our new pediatrician. Most recent stats:

Audrey Jane

3 ft. 1/4 in. tall
58th percentile

27 lbs. 13 oz.
37th percentile


Megan Leigh

2 ft. 5 3/4 in.
96th percentile
holy cow

19 lbs. 3 oz.
48th percentile

Jane's birthmark on her eye is growing again. Sigh. I had really hoped that it would have disappeared by now. Since it is in fact getting bigger, we will be taking her back to a dermatologist to discuss our next step.

As I recall, the last options offered were do nothing (not working so far...), put her back on steroids (ugh), or consider the possibility of removing it entirely through laser surgery (double ugh). We're waiting until we switch to Chris's insurance in September, then we'll take her in. I'll keep you all posted, as usual.

Thank you again for everyone's care and concern and interest.
Life is much more entertaining when you have someone to swap stories with.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm so glad everything went well with the surgery. That picture of her in the hospital gown is too cute...and so is the one where she's snuggling with you.

And 96th%ile...wow!! That's crazy!

Tannie Datwyler said...

That's wonderful that everything is going so well with Megan!

When she is feeling better we need to set a date for us to get together to play. :)

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That surgery is still crazy to me. But I am so glad everything is going so well. What a trooper you have.

Meghann said...

I'm so glad to read Megan is doing so well!!!