Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter

It is a long-established fact that I am a dreamer. Not a world peace kind of dreamer, a last night I walked to Jupiter kind of dreamer. In high school, I had a group of friends who would spend their entire lunch hour trying to interpret my dreams using a dream dictionary I had been gifted.

For curiosity's sake, I looked up possible interpretations of a few of my recent dreams using the site www.dreammoods.com.

Dream 1: Lion Wrestling

"To see a lion in your dreams symbolizes great strength, courage, aggression, and power. You will overcome some of your emotional difficulties."

Well, that would be nice. Alternately...

"To dream that you are attacked by a lion suggests that a force may be driving you to self-destruction."

Yeah, that sounds closer.


Dream 2: Navigating a Maze (specifically a maze of office cubicles)


"To dream that you are in a maze denotes that you need to deal with a waking task on a more direct level. You are making a situation harder than it really is. Alternatively, the maze symbolizes life's twists and turns. It represents indecision, confusion, missteps, feeling lost or being misled."

Now, that one might have some measure of truth to it. But how about this?

"To dream of a work office indicates that you cannot seem to leave your work at the office. You are overworked."

Umm...I don't have a job.


Dream 3: Playing trumpets with Denzel Washington

"To see or hear a trumpet signifies some sort of warning. It may be your subconcious trying to get your attention."

"To see a celebrity in your dreams represents your beliefs and understanding about him or hear. Consider what the celebrity is famous or known for and how you relate to that quality."

So, my subconscious is trying to warn me that I might soon turn into a wealthy black man?

OR Chris and I were talking about when he used to play the trumpet, and I had recently watched Much Ado About Nothing in which Mr. Washington portrays Don Pedro. That seems more like it, don't you think?


Dream 4: Transformation

It would appear that this particular character trait--vivid and frequent dreaming--has been passed on to at least one of my children. Or at least the one with an extensive enough vocabulary to vocalize it.

Jane (you guessed that, right?) came knocking on our bedroom door in the middle of the night to inform me that she had had a bad dream. In her own words:

"I was a grown-up and I was in the car with my friends and suddenly we all turned into animals. Animals! Remember, like Kuzco. I turned into a llama."

Interpretation...

"To see a llama in your dreams represents deep trust, strength, and endurance. It may also mean that you are worrying too much and carrying too many problems."

It may also mean that you watch Emperor's New Groove a little too often.

P.S. Jess, I totally thought of you.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Ha, I love that you thought of me when Jane dreamed of being a llama. Also, I thought of me when I read it. So, I guess we have a connection.

Speaking of dreams, I had 4 the other night. 1: Gave birth to a baby boy. 2: Gave birth to a baby girl. 3: Gave birth to twins. 4: Pregnant with triplets and one had less chance of survival so I was given the option to abort it. I didn't, and had triplet boys.
These came right after my post on infertility. Weird.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

haha. I love that Jane is like a mini Laura. :) She really does have quite the vocabulary for a 4 year old.

Michael said...

"um I've been turned into a cow, can I go home" that's what I thought of when you mentioned being turned into animals. Along the same lines, just narrowed down to one of my favorite lines.

Michael said...

Oh and I had a question. I don't remember dreams real well (probably due to lack of sleeping) but I do tend to talk in my sleep. What does directing profanities toward your spouse while sleeping mean?

Tannie Datwyler said...

This is HILARIOUS and totally awesome. Thank you for the laughs!!