Saturday, February 6, 2010

What a Week 4

Don't get too close...

In this week, several people around me have suffered some sort of medical emergency. I didn't have anything to do with any of them, but it seems odd that so many happened to so many people I know, all in one week:

A teacher I work with hurt her back, missing several days of school and visiting the hospital and doctors on multiple occasions.

On Tuesday, one of my students broke her leg on our fifth grade ski trip to Beaver Mountain.

Laura Lee was taken to the emergency room for stomach pain, and later had surgery for gall stones.

Another of my students broke her arm playing soccer.

Jane fell down the stairs, head first, sliding on her back. She wasn't hurt, but it seemed to fit the list anyway.

The upside to all of this is that I was able to largely ignore my own situation. It didn't seem so drastic to be on my own this week, when I spent a lot of time helping other people.

I've heard charity defined as serving others when your own needs have not been met...that definition has always struck a cord with me. I think I had a better taste of that this week when I was able to help so many other people in different situations, even though I was still struggling to take care of everything at home.

. . .

And to move past that serious note, here are some random pictures that we've taken in the last week or two.

Jane got in trouble last weekend for coloring on the walls. Consequence: Help Dad scrub all the crayon off the walls and mirror.


Apparently dinner time can be quite exhausting at our house...



...and I'll have to you know that those two pictures were taken within seconds of each other.

I bought Jane some new headbands to wear while we grow out her bangs. She couldn't wait to get home to wear them, so she just wore them in the store.


And when she isn't worrying about her own fashion sense, Jane continues to take time enjoying telephone conversations with Grandpa, Grandma, Sarah and Michael.


One of my favorite moments this week, laugh if you will, was one morning when I was getting all of our clothes pulled together to get ready for the day. I realized that all three of us girls were going to wear brand new white socks. We all matched, so I just had to take a picture.


don't you love new socks?

2 comments:

Jared and Delia said...

That socks picture is adorable. I have never heard that definition of charity but I like it. Hope your circle of friends and family get better and have a safer week!

pawlyandsandy said...

Wow are you lucky that BOTH of your girls fell asleep like that for you, sooo lucky! I'm glad helping others this week helped you not feel so lonely. Go you and your charitable self! :)
Love the new socks and head bands. Good times are found in the little things.