Tuesday, June 30, 2009

the morning blahs

I've mentioned before that Chris generally wakes up at 6:30 and leaves for work within fifteen minutes, all the while being very quiet so Jane does not wake up. I will sleep in until Jane wakes herself up, usually between 8:00 and 8:30.

It didn't work today.

While Chris was getting dressed for work, we both heard Jane quietly calling me from behind her closed bedroom door. Chris tried putting her back to bed, but it didn't work. In the end, she came and laid down in bed with me. I was really, really hoping she would go back to sleep, at least for an hour or so.

yeah, right

I pretended to sleep while Jane climbed on me, pulled my hair, and handed me everything off of our nightstands. She got bored with that after awhile and got off the bed. I think I fell asleep at that point...I vaguely remember her coming back on the bed with two blankets and her bear from her bed...I also remember the moment that she dumped an entire mug of water on the floor...

At 8:30, I decided it was time to be awake (or did Jane decide for me?). But we didn't get up. She handed me Chris's iPod touch, and we spent half an hour playing games with that. Then I really did decide it was time to get up.

Now, usually I will get all dressed and ready for the day before we ever go downstairs. I always feel more productive when I'm dressed, even if I don't do anything. Well, today I figured that it would be nicer to Jane if I fed her breakfast before getting myself ready. So we ventured downstairs with me in my robe.

First we changed a nasty diaper (which I'm certain wasn't helping with the idea of going back to sleep), then I made Jane a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. She was all strapped in her high chair, spoon in hand, ready to go. But she wouldn't eat. I eventually had to trick her to get a bite into her mouth, then she decided that it did, in fact, taste good and was worth eating. Then she was fine. I left her with her bowl and spoon and got on the computer to check my email and read blogs.

That worked...until she finished her oatmeal. She moved all her dishes onto the counter, a sure sign of being done, so I proceeded to wipe off her hands and face and get her out of the high chair. It wasn't long before she let me know that she wasn't actually done. I tried to give her some toast or some fruit, but she wasn't interested. I finally caved and made her another bowl of oatmeal. I had to convince her again that it was ok to eat, then she took off and I went back to my blogs.

And then I heard a large CRASH.

I'm not sure how it happened, but the entire tray fell off the high chair. That's never happened before...apparently I didn't get it snapped in all the way. Well, that sure didn't help Jane's mood. I think it really scared her (it was loud). Luckily, and rather miraculously, the bowl of oatmeal landed right-side-up on the floor, so breakfast was saved. But once again, I had to feed her a few bites before she remembered how to eat. Blah.

When she was done, she was still really ornery. I don't know what to do with her now. I tried playing (no way, Mom), I tried laying her back down (dream on), I tried giving her other food in case she was still hungry...

Now we're sitting on the couch. Jane is laying on my arm, watching Word World, while I type this with one hand, occasionally two.


On the bright side, I was able to get a few pictures from the park the other day. Thanks, Laura Lee!

I think I'm supposed to be making lunch to take to Chris in the next half hour...maybe I should get dressed now...

...but jane just fell asleep on my arm


Liz, Karl and Madison said...

SOunds a little like my morning! I so did not want to wake up this morning... it was later then 6:30 but i just did not want to wake up... unfortunately Maddie did. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that keeps trying to sleep while their child climbs all over and pulls everything off the night stand. Hopefully the rest of the day will be better for you!

Kate said...

I hear you sister! It's so nice to be home for the summer with Abby, but sometimes, I am so glad to not be a stay-at-home mom. It can be exhausting. Fun but also exhausting.

Delia said...

Oh no! Another day in the life of being at home with the kid(s). So fun and funny.

Tannie Datwyler said...

You crack me up - somehow the way you write makes everything funny. :) I'm with you though - Linus woke up at 5:45 and wouldn't go back to sleep, so after 15 mintues of him talking/boobing to himself in his crib (no doubt waking Claire up) I fed him and then tried to get him to lay in bed with me and go back to sleep, instead he boobed some more, pulled my hair, tried to eat me, rolled around, and tried to make himself unpleasant in any way he could. :)

JeriLynn said...

Heh, I remember mornings like these! Cute!