Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bring it on...

Today is my first official day of summer vacation. School technically ended last Thursday, but I spent Friday and Monday in my classroom working on cleaning and getting ahead on a few projects for next year, and Tuesday the district had an all-day training on the new math programs we are to be using. Today is my first day home all day, and Jane's first non-day care day.

Hmmm... just the two of us... all day... this could get interesting...

To welcome in the glorious summer season, I thought I'd post a few pictures of nothing less than the HAILSTORM from Monday night. Our entire (albeit little) family was standing on the porch for almost all of the ten or fifteen minutes that the show went on.

Jane ran outside rather enthusiastically. I fully expected her to run back as soon as she felt the heavy rain, but not so.

She must be a Phillips.

The storm was, I must say, pretty darn cool. After the pouring rain, the hail started. There had been about thirty seconds of hail prior to the rain, but nothing major. Then this started.


Don't worry, we pulled Jane inside just in time. Maybe I should have let her experience it and learn for herself that hailstones hurt, but I didn't think being pelted by small ice rocks was the most productive life lesson right that moment.

I was worried about the garden. Our plants are still quite small for the most part. And I was right--the plants didn't seem too thrilled about the change in weather.


There was a bit of damage done to some of the stems and leaves, but luckily, none of them have died. Yet.

Chris was pretty excited about a large chunk of hail that he collected from the patio.


He asked if we could keep it and save it for... ... ...what do you save large hailstones for? I told him he was welcome to put it in the freezer, but it was his personal responsibility to take of it. You know, feed it, water it, take it out for walks... I guess that worked for him.


And so begins the summer. I think I'll try a "What did you do today" post later on about my first official day of summer. It'll be interesting even for me, because I have no idea what I'm going to do all day.

Bring it on.

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

haha you are so funny Laura. I love the hailstone... did he actually keep it then? I also have to say that you are the coolest person ever for getting me that pass. Does it work for any day we want it to? You will have to let me know when I could come pick it up from you, we are tickled about getting to go.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Jane is such a cutie in the rain! :) Read Laura, READ! That's what summer is for. :) We can also go on picnics and walks at the riverside trail. Count me in to keep you entertained.

Jared and Delia said...

That is CRAZY...because we didn't get hail like that where we were. Yesterday when it was coming down I was talking to someone in River Heights and she said there was NO RAIN where she was...just wind and clouds. Weird.