Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Stockings

We made it safely home from Salt Lake back to Logan. The canyon was the worst part of the drive--it was the only place where it was even snowing, but the roads were very slick and it was hard to see very far past the car. But we made it alive. Twice, actually.



First, a little background. My grandmother knits all of our Christmas stockings. My family has all had our stockings since we were born (right, Mom?). When we get married, Grandma knits a stocking for the spouse. When a child is born, she'll knit one for the new great-grandbaby. This year, she knitted one for Jane. She had borrowed mine to measure so they'd be the same length. Both mine and Jane's stockings were at my parents' house, ready for us to bring them home and then take to Aberdeen for Christmas.

Well, while we were bringing everything into the house after getting to Logan, Chris was first to realize that we had forgotten the stockings. I found myself surprisingly devastated. Not having our stockings had the potential to ruin Christmas. (I know, I know...I'm kind of lame that way.) For one, it's Jane's first Christmas. Doesn't every child need their own stocking on their first Christmas? Chris said we could go buy stockings, but it just seemed so wrong. How can you have Christmas with any stockings other than Grandma's? Yes, I was devastated. Christmas was ruined.

To deal with my grief, I locked myself in the bathroom and cried. (I know, I know...lame...and yet I'm confessing this to all of you...and I'm not even sure who all of you are... ... ) While I was crying in the bathroom, unbeknownst to me, Chris called my dad. Shortly thereafter, Chris and I were driving back through the canyon. We met up with my dad at a McDonald's in Ogden and he delivered the Christmas stockings.

Thank you, Dad. Thank you, Christopher. Christmas is saved. I must be loved.

* * * * *

We are now in Aberdeen, Idaho at Chris's parents' house. Luckily, we made that trip safely, too. When we arrived, we discovered that Jane, Janet (Chris's mom) and I were all matching. We had to get some pictures:




Jane has also recently learned to play peek-a-boo, and we managed to get a picture of her covering her own eyes. She'll start playing spontaneously, and she'll sit there with her eyes covered up (although she's always still looking at you between her fingers) until you say something like "Where's Jane?" or "All gone!" then she'll pull her hands down and laugh. It's very cute.

* * * * *

Merry Christmas to everyone tomorrow! Jane is rather amusing when opening gifts. I'm sure I'll have some cute pictures to post tomorrow to show off my cute daughter.

No comments: