Wednesday, May 2, 2012

More Hairs Cut

Catching up on the latest news since my disappearance after a cryptic hair cut...

I was gone the last two days of last week attending Women's Conference at BYU with Mom and Deborah. Kudos to Christopher for taking all the kids, including babysitting Madisyn! He's amazing. He even made them waffles for breakfast.


By the way, the girls are wearing my t-shirts for pajamas because they missed me. Cute.

Mom taught me how to french braid while we were there. I've been wanting to keep my hair long, but it's kind of driving me crazy just hanging out everywhere all the time for little hands to inadvertently (or very purposefully) grab a fistful. I've been practicing, working up to being able to do french braid my own hair.


I think I did pretty decent for my first shot, don't you agree?


We had a good time. I'm really glad I went.


And kudos to Deborah for having a better stretched-arm shot than I got. All of my attempts turned out something like this:


Since I've been home, we've had a few more adventures. Our most excitingly picture-worthy was fishing at Rockport Reservoir with the Beauchaines. BBQ chicken drumsticks first (delicious!).


The weather was a bit cold for the kids' taste, though.



But we made up for it with fishing.



I love watching my husband do fun things with our kids. Just melts my heart.



Despite the wind, it was beautiful.


Proof that I was there, too. :)


Aside from that adventure, we've stuck fairly close to home while I continue to adjust to my new life view (see my other blog if you missed it). I did find some amusing pictures on my camera, though.


Jane loves playing princess, and she desperately wants Ben to be the prince. She informed me that he doesn't really make a very good prince because he can't walk--princes should walk. That didn't stop her from dancing with him, though. Cape and all.


I've learned that if you leave Ben alone with Jane for too long, he'll end up mostly naked and on the couch, where he doesn't usually sit because he's too likely to fall off.


Speaking of Ben, he had his first hair cut today!

Before:


After:


Doesn't he just look amazing?? Ha. I only trimmed the hairs that were sticking out over the top of his ears. They were just driving me crazy. Sadly, I did it without any help and he did jerk just a bit. No worries, he didn't get cut, but he does have a bit of an amateur-stylist trim line jutting off abruptly behind his left ear. Oh, well.

And yes, Mom, I know he shouldn't play with scissors. It was the easiest way I had to get him to hold still long enough to take another picture. I took them right back. Without him having something to hold onto, the pictures all turned out more like this:


Speaking of Ben, I totally missed his nine month car seat shot. I was in Provo. That was a little too far of a range for my camera lens... I've decided we're just going to skip this month. Or maybe even just be done. We'll see. It's more annoying when his car seat is in the van.

And finally, another update on Jane's disappearing birthmark trick. For memory's sake, here is the progression from pre-surgery to surgery to post-surgery.

Before:


Later the same day:


One week after:


Today, two weeks after:



It is getting much better. It was a bit tricky to get a picture of her tonight, though...this was my first attempt:


She didn't agree to cooperate until I told her Grandpa Jeff wanted to know what it looked like. He's only seen her like this lately:


No verdict quite yet on whether or not we'll be repeating the process. Still waiting for the bruise to be completely gone.

P.S. Britta, did you see the monkeys?? Thinking of you!

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I'm glad it was you doing the hair cutting this time I was a bit worried by your title... I was going to say maybe more play dates aren't such a great idea. hehe just kidding. :) I like our play dates too much. I would be sad.
Jane's eye really is starting to look better. I hope it only continues and that you don't have to do it again.

Alyssa Harper said...

The haircut looks good! The first time I cut Micah's hair, Bryan came home and said, "Uh...did you cut his hair?" I asked why, and he just said, "Well...it just looks...different..." Sweet, right? In his defense, I DID do a downright awful job. It was all sorts of uneven. ;)

Tannie Datwyler said...

I like the french braiding pictures. I can do french braids a little... on Claire, but on me, NO WAY. So I will be prepared to be all impressed when you have it down.

I loved your comment about Chris playing with the kids and those were some fun pictures fishing.

I also think that Jane's eye is looking better!! Hooray for that, right?

Britta said...

I saw the monkies!

I agree that Chris playing with the kids is awesome. I was watching Matt play with our girls on Wednesday night and fell in love all over again. :)