Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Week 1

Chris started at L3 on Monday. Hurray for a real job!

On the downside, that means that the girls and I have been without him since Sunday night. It's not my most favorite thing ever. The hardest times are eating lunch at school and going to bed at night. Odd, maybe, but Chris ate lunch with me at school quite often. I find myself still checking the classroom door to see if he's coming or looking at my phone to see if he's texted that he's on his way. But he isn't. And going to bed...well, that's the most obvious time that he isn't home. And I miss him.

But I'm trying to look for the good in things. In these last three days, there are a few things that I've found that make it ok for him to be gone for a while.

I get to park in the garage. No more scraping windows.

I can watch whatever I want on tv, even--gasp!--American Idol.

I am more motivated to clean. If I don't do it, it just won't get done. And then we'd have to live in a messy house.

My phone never dies. I hardly ever think to charge my phone until it dies while I'm in the middle of a call. I way don't want my phone to die while talking to Chris, so I plug it in pretty much any chance I get.

I have the mail key. It's been a long time since I could check the mail.

I can read in bed for as long as I want without keeping anyone awake.


People feed us. Thank you, Tannie, for having us over for dinner! And thank you ward Relief Society for arranging for dinners once a week, too. Thanks Candice and Julie!

I can see better how many people around us are looking out for my family.

^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^
Chris comes home tomorrow.
One week down.
(almost)

Twenty to go.

6 comments:

Karrie said...

I just saw Christopher. He just left to go to Lisa's. He is missing you!

Britta said...

I'm glad to hear you are looking at the bright side. Those 20 weeks will go by in a flash. Well, you are sure to think so after the fact anyway!

Tannie Datwyler said...

You are welcome my friend!

Thanks for the invite to the party too - Claire had a lot of fun and your house did look fabulous.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That just doesn't sound like fun. I hate that I don't see Karl until bedtime but at least he goes to bed with me. I hope things go well for you. Let us know if you need anything... such as a break from kids for a while. That's the thing I miss most of not having Karl home until the kids are in bed, there is never anyone to take over when you are exhausted.

Ruby in the Rough said...

Well, I'd almost laugh at you (because as a military wife, I could easily trump you), but-- BUT-- I have yet to experience two kids with Jay's absence for longer than a week. Although, in March, he'll be gone for two and in June for a year, so . . . I'm sure I'll get a taste of things.

But your ward does rock to feed you once a week.

Ruby in the Rough said...

My grammar wasn't very good. I'm tired. I'd write what I meant to say, but I believe you understand what I meant. So I won't waste your time. Anymore.