Monday, January 27, 2014

The Saga of the Washing Machine

We bought a really nice washer and dryer set from RC Willey when we first bought our house in Salt Lake.

Unfortunately, things worked out that we ended up putting them in storage for eight months while we lived in our Albuquerque closet apartment and washed all our clothes at the laundromat.

And then they finally resurfaced when we moved to Atlanta. Hooray!

Six months of the wonders of doing laundry in our own home...and then the washer died. Remember the stitches?

Never having needed to fix this particular machine before, Chris did a lot of research online in an attempt to figure out what was going wrong. From everything he read, it was the motor. That was a common thing to break down and fixed most problems when replaced. So, we ordered a motor.

It came. He installed it. It didn't work.


We were (sort of ) lucky in that we can send the motor back, but we will have to pay a 25% reshelving fee. Nothing to scoff at when the part costs $200...but paying $50 is still better than the whole $200.

With Chris's hand largely out of commission and me being super sick with the flu while pregnant, we finally "gave up" and called a repairman. Chris found a company that had a Bosch guy, which seemed promising. Hire the guy that knows the machine the best, right?

Wrong, turns out.

The repair guy came (a day late) and made it pretty obvious pretty quick that he really had no idea what he was doing. In fact, he actually broke the machine more. Snapped one piece clean off. He did not have any other grand insights about what might be wrong, let alone how to fix it, and let us feeling much more confused and frustrated. To top it off, he called Chris this morning with his recommendation:

Buy a new washing machine and don't get a Bosch.

I don't know about you, but when I pay someone for their expertise, I do in fact expect them to have expertise. Good thing they refunded the fee we paid for the visit, although that other piece is still broken.

Next step is to buy a new control board--basically the brains of the washer. This is risky because it's not returnable at all, period, end of discussion, and it also costs $200. Here's hoping that it actually solves the problem.

No comments: